• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer No Fan this morning

Rob.D

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Springs,MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6LV8
Wife headed to work this morning and texted that the fan quit working this morning in our 2002 Explorer 4.6L 4x4. I did a search and most issues seem to be with a resistor yet high fan still works. She's telling me all speeds of the fan are non-functioning. Any idea's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start buy checking fuses. The info should be in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

If you need additional info on the correct fuse, let me know and I can check my shop wiring diagrams.

Could also be related to a faulty fan speed switch. This is relatively easy to swap out. I changed mine when I had no difference between speeds 3 & 4. I can offer assistance with swapping this out if needed. I have the manual climate control. The dual/auto climate control will be different, but I will offer assistance here as well with the help of my shop manuals.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted. :biggthump

I started out by replacing the fan resistor, still no fan. Then I swapped the fan relay with the start relay, still no fan. Next I removed the fan switch where I noticed the plug had melted like a short had occurred. Replaced the fan switch, still no fan. I assume the only thing left is the fan itself? Is there a way to put power direct to the fan to test it? On occasion the wife says the fan will run after hitting a pot hole or bump. But when the vehicle is **** off it does not work upon start up.

When I removed the old switch I noticed some melting of the connector and the switch didn't feel right when switching from 3 to 4.

According to my '02 shop manuals there is a blower motor relay and a high speed blower motor relay. There are several mentions of it in my manuals, but no definitive location. There was one mention of it being behind dash panel, center. I don't know if the radio needs to be removed to access it or if it can be accessed from the passenger side after dropping the glove box?

It looks to be a standard automotive relay. I'm guessing that the local auto parts stores should have it in stock and that it is not too costly.

Here is how to check a relay: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366467

I am scanning the trouble shooting steps from my '02 shop manuals and will PM them to you.

Stand by..................................:popcorn:

Thanks for the help!

PM's have been sent. :biggthump

Back