02 Explorer O/D flashing, Check engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer O/D flashing, Check engine light

FLG

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hey guys/gals,

Recently acquired an explorer from my father. Not long after he gave it to me (actually same day LOL) we have some issues.

Ive searched the forum and have found plenty of threads about the issue, i just want to confirm things before i go ahead and do anything. I hooked up a computer to it, here are the codes that came up.

P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0735 - Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio
P0775 - Pressure Control Solenoid B

Now searching some threads ive seen this can be a servo, OD band, or solenoid pack.

Basically, how can i confirm the problem before i change anything?

Also have 2 other issues, door ajar light, and airbag light.

As for the door ajar light, ive tried lubing each mechanism...nada. So i will just take off each door panel and check things. Secondly, i have not searched up for the issue with the Airbag light, but neither is my main concern right now i just want to get it running again.

I rather not pay up the behind for ford to do the work when i know i can do it myself. Ive been restoring my 73 Charger so working on cars is nothing new for me.

Just to add, its a 4x4 6cyl, trans code V (5r55w?)

Thanks,

Frank

Edit** Realized i posted in the wrong forum. Sorry!!!

Edit*

Just wanted to update. After driving it around and taking a listen, there is whining sound coming from the tranny more pronounced on the 1-2 shift and clearly heard if you rev the engine in park or neutral. I also checked out the fluid. Very VERY burnt, almost looks like motor oil. I did a partial fluid change, but no difference (didnt expect one, but figured id give it a shot).

Edit*** Another update for you guys/gals. After the partial fluid change and some driving it DID somewhat improve. Also the whine is more like the sound of a pump sucking in air or similar to a PS pump kind of noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At least you have the codes which is a good start, but how does it shift? Does it hit all gears? If it shifts but hits all gears you forgot to mention the torque converter, usually it makes a whine when it goes. If you lost a gear(s) then i'd lean more towards a broken 'hard part', servo, band etc. If its slow or delayed shifts then that more like the servo bores, solenoid pack.

you might want to start reading in the trans section.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it hits all the gears just is laggy going into second and does not go into overdrive.

How can i test the solenoid pack? The exess material in the fluid has me worried.

Im also thinking possible torque converter.

Well ill be taking a look at it soon.

Any tests for the torque converter??

My wife's '02 Explorer (4.0 liter 6 cyl) started acting up on April 15th at around 81,340 miles (you have to appreciate the timing) w/ flashing O/D OFF and steady SERVICE ENGINE SOON lights accompanied by sluggish shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I hooked my Scan Gauge II to the Explorer and it reported codes P0775 (Control Solenoid B Malfunction) and P0000 (Unknown). After clearing codes with SGII, I took it out for a short road test w/ no repeated SERVICE ENGINE SOON light, but the flashing O/D Off light was back. From standing start, engine revs to 3,000 - 4,000 RPM range before shifting to 2nd Gear, depending on amount of throttle applied (i.e. higher throttle, higher shift point). I've checked some other threads that are saying the fix could range from a "valve and gasket kit" to a complete overhaul, to replacement. We bought it used in 09/2005 and it's due for payoff this August so I'm just a little pi$$ed off at this point and looking for answers/options. Is the dealer my only real repair option at this point?

The test for the converter: At highway speed, your foot on the gas, lightly depress brake pedal. The Rpm's should only go up slightly. No other noises. If the rpm's dont change going in and out of lockup,there is a problem.

Flashing O/D Light and P0775 Code

The problem ended up being a Front Servo Piston, which was causing the engine to turn much higher than normal RPMs as the transmission completely missed 2nd Gear on its way to 3rd. The Ford dealer replaced it for $277.23 w/ labor, which is a lot less than what I was preparing myself for. The Explorer now shifts MUCH better from from 1st the 2nd and it should be good until the transmission is due for a fluid change at 150,000miles. Yea, the dealer said that as long as I'm not towing anything on a regular basis, the tranny fluid is good for 150K.

Back