'02 Explorer Starter Problems - or more? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer Starter Problems - or more?

Vivak

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer
Hi I'm a new member with an old 2002 explorer 4 wheel drive V6. First it sat for 2 or 3 weeks. When I tried to start it I got a loud clicking coming from the starter. So I took the started out and replaced it this morning. Now the clicking is faster and is coming from the relay box #51. Cleaned corrosion off the battery. The theft light is clicking in sync with the clicking and now I'm thinking it needs a jump, but I want to make sure I haven't crossed any wires. i only took off the two that go to the starter and put them back in the same order and in the only way they fit. It seemed like straight forward operation, but I just dont have the knowledge to make sure Im not going to mess this up. I could use any advice and diagrams. Thanks so much!

Sounds like the battery is low. If you are not in a hurry get a trickle charger to see if you can charge the battery.

Thanks Indeed it was the battery. I took it to get tested and charged and happily the car turned on when I put the battery back!

Back