• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer trans pan bolts

BrianMcf

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ranger 2 wheel drive
Help! I am having a problem with removing 6 of the 8mm bolts on the back of the trans pan. My pan gasket is leaking. 6 of the pan bolts have been rounded to the point of the 6 point socket cams around the bolt head, I have tried bang or shock the head with the socket, extension, hammer they didn’t loosen heated with propane torch, cooled and heated, cooled several cycles and still can’t get them to break free. The exhaust cross over pipe is close and not sure how to fight those bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help! I am having a problem with removing 6 of the 8mm bolts on the back of the trans pan. My pan gasket is leaking. 6 of the pan bolts have been rounded to the point of the 6 point socket cams around the bolt head, I have tried bang or shock the head with the socket, extension, hammer they didn’t loosen heated with propane torch, cooled and heated, cooled several cycles and still can’t get them to break free. The exhaust cross over pipe is close and not sure how to fight those bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
You could try cutting a slot to get a flat head screwdriver in there. Not really sure what much else except lock jaw pliers or welding onto the bolt

You could try cutting a slot to get a flat head screwdriver in there. Not really sure what much else except lock jaw pliers or welding onto the bolt
Thank you for your ideas! I will be back at it today!

Thank you for your ideas!

Wonder how they got so rounded. They shouldn’t be that tight. Ive had some luck banging a socket on over a a piece of thin shim shock. I’ve also had good luck with this on Allen’s.

Wonder how they got so rounded. They shouldn’t be that tight. Ive had some luck banging a socket on over a a piece of thin shim shock. I’ve also had good luck with this on Allen’s.
Thank you! I used my Milwaukee 3/8 impact 8mm socket , no problem on the front of the pan and they broke free fairly easily. Back side of the pan it was more rusty and it didn’t take much of impact with good solid pressure and they rounded! The back of the pan is limited access and has the cross over exhaust tube (4.0 V6), garage kept Ford serviced and drove by a little of man never seen dirt! 25,000 miles!

Back