• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

02 Explorer, Trans wont go into ANY gear, help?

CT_JohnnyB

Reaction score
City, State
NW, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi all, I posted to the newbie forum, asking for a little help with my explorer.

Original thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402612

FR-425 suggested I repost here. Hope that's not breaking forum rules on reposts...

Here's the original question/info, to save a click...

Drove to work the other day, everything was fine. Got out that night, started car, it wont go...Transmission wont go into ANY gear. Towed home, yay...

Checked ALL the fuses in both fuse boxes, under-hood and inside, and nothing blown. 4WD doesn't work correctly at the moment (actually, hasn't for a little over a year now,) as I believe the controller module is bad (obviously, notorious on explorers) and possibly the motor on the transfer case selector (also notorious, grrr) but I've had NO problems with 2WD since I've owned it. (over 4 yrs now)

I've removed the 4WD electric selector motor and checked the transfer case to be sure it's in 2WD, It is. It freely goes into all ranges so I don't believe that's the problem.

I took off the DTR (Digital Transmission Range Sensor) and checked the connector, etc. Car starts fine, so it's not mis-adjusted. If only the DTR was a simple switch, I could test it with a multimeter, but that's not happening, since it's not. Can't find any schematics for the pin-outs/wiring diagram anyways that show what contacts what, in which position, so that's a lost cause at the moment.

I (assume) it's probably the DTR sensor, because I can't think of anything else and this makes sense, with NO gears engaging at all. At least from what I can find online, but the car ran perfectly fine until I got out of work that night, so I'm a little confused.

Any other suggestions on what to test/check, or anything I missed? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated right now, as I honestly just can't afford to bring it to a shop/dealer to get it fixed. Lost my job last year, and I'm working two part-time ones right now, just to survive. Things are rough and the money just isn't there. I'm stranded without it and have no way to get to work, at the moment. Desperate would be an understatement

Thanks for any advice/ideas in advance,
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

PopRichie77

Reaction score
City, State
Quakertown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
If the OD light is flashing, get the code read? It's probably not the DTR. You need to do a pressure test. No hydraulic pressure will cause this problem and one cause is the pressure relief valve in the pump.

CT_JohnnyB

Reaction score
City, State
NW, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
OD light isn't flashing. I've had the battery disconnected while working on it, so I'm gonna assume the codes are gone by now.

Nothing seems any different, except the truck won't go into gear. It drove perfectly fine, until I got out of work that night. I can't understand it at all.

Edit: all I've got is a cheap, basic $100 code reader i bought a few years back, and no way to get the truck anywhere. I don't even know if it'll pull tranny codes, to be honest. This couldn't have happened at a worse time, as work hours have been cut and I've got just about zero money to fix this right now.

Chucklee

Reaction score
City, State
Calumet, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
When you say it won't go in any gear, does that include park? If your park is not catching, that could indicate there is, in fact, an issue with something else in the driveline.

CT_JohnnyB

Reaction score
City, State
NW, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
No, it engages park just fine. Step on the brake and it'll come out of the park position like usual. It starts right up, and runs normally. But you can sit there all day long, moving the shifter lever through all gears, from first, to reverse, and absolutely nothing happens. it's like the shifter wasn't even connected at all. I might as well be cranking a tree branch up and down...

I'm about to go to the ford dealer here and buy a new digital transmission range sensor and just try it, because I can't tell if it's bad without a better code scanner, which I don't own, and unfortunately can't afford, and haven't got a clue what else to try at this point.

Kinda desperate, as I NEED to be able to get to work, and I live too far to keep asking friends for rides, etc.

In a real bind here, and I could seriously use a little help. Hoping somebody can offer some. It'd REALLY be appreciated...

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
the shifter is cable operated, you said it felt like it was not doing anything,,
maybe it's not,, get under the Explorer on the drivers side, find the end of the cable, see if it is fact attached,
should look like this under there,

Attachments

• shift cable,.jpg
    shift cable,.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 418

Bf1934

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer
Need a diagram. For a 2006 explorer transmission

kajgaray

Reaction score
City, State
Greenwich Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
My Explorer will not go into gear. Not sure if I will get a reply since this is an older post.. I’m having the very same exact issues with my Explorer and was wondering if anyone found anything out. Can’t pay the bills with no ride to work and I need to figure this out ASAP. My dad says my tranny is just done and won’t even look at it and it ran fine before this happened.. like perfectly fine.

JK080

Transmission Moderator
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 F250 6.0
My Explorer will not go into gear. Not sure if I will get a reply since this is an older post.. I’m having the very same exact issues with my Explorer and was wondering if anyone found anything out. Can’t pay the bills with no ride to work and I need to figure this out ASAP. My dad says my tranny is just done and won’t even look at it and it ran fine before this happened.. like perfectly fine.

Welcome to the site!

Conform the fluid level is correct, it may or may not have a dipstick. If no dipstick you will have to get under it and remove the torx bit plug in the center of the drain plug to check the fluid level with the engine running in park on level ground.

If the fluid is full and the vehicle holds in park (wont roll in park) then something inside the transmission has failed.

If you find that it is overfilled, like a lot of fluid drains out then most likely the pump has failed.