02 explorer xlt 4.0 will crank but not fire off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer xlt 4.0 will crank but not fire off

robm94

Reaction score
City, State
maysville ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
having A problem with my 02 explorer xlt 4.0, was stopped at a stop light and all of a sudden lost power and would stall out if gas was pressed and engine tried to go over 2k rpm. thought it was bad gas, drained gas and filled with fresh, no change. hooked it to a code reader and the codes thrown were for the egr valve and the ignition air control valve. replaced egr valve, and dpfe sensor, and iac valve, also new fuel pump and filter. and crankshaft position sensor, still no change, now the engine wont even fire off. it will crank but no ignition. i am getting 60 psi to the fuel rail, and i reset the anti theft just in case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

having A problem with my 02 explorer xlt 4.0, was stopped at a stop light and all of a sudden lost power and would stall out if gas was pressed and engine tried to go over 2k rpm. thought it was bad gas, drained gas and filled with fresh, no change. hooked it to a code reader and the codes thrown were for the egr valve and the ignition air control valve. replaced egr valve, and dpfe sensor, and iac valve, also new fuel pump and filter. and crankshaft position sensor, still no change, now the engine wont even fire off. it will crank but no ignition. i am getting 60 psi to the fuel rail, and i reset the anti theft just in case.
Did you ever end up finding the fix? Having similar issues

check your knock sensor. it's under the intake manifold on the top of the block. Leads on mine were broken, and it had similar issues in the cold

I bet his problem was a vacuum line issue. I don't know about the 4.0 but the description sounds like the infamous rotted rubber elbow problem on 4.6L engines.

I bet his problem was a vacuum line issue. I don't know about the 4.0 but the description sounds like the infamous rotted rubber elbow problem on 4.6L engines.
What's that you're talking about, rotted rubber elbow? I've got the 4.6L maybe that's an issue I'm having also

What's that you're talking about, rotted rubber elbow? I've got the 4.6L maybe that's an issue I'm having also

From your description it didn't sound like it although if you've never replace the rubber elbow you should check it out. Read HERE all about it.

Awesome, I'm definitely going to check that out. At 133k and having sat for couple years I imagine it def gonna need to be replaced. Thanks for all your help thus far, I really do appreciate it. You've been a big help and hopefully we can figure this thing out

Back