02 Explorer XLT 4x4 Eddie Bauer issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer XLT 4x4 Eddie Bauer issues

FntnTech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLT
This is a vehicle that was handed down to my daughter a couple of years ago. Here are the issues that shes experiencing,
1.) Air bag light on constantly
2.) Constant "service engine soon", ive just been told that its been on for maybe a year(she doesnt live near us). She has kept up on LOF intervals.
3.) The front passenger power window operates, but will only go down from the drivers switch, and will only go up from the front passenger switch. I did find a broken black wire in the drivers side hinge boot and repaired it, but it didnt fix the issue.
4.) Dome light has to be turned off manually.

Im hoping to address these issues very quickly. Her and her husband are expecting their first child in a few months and she isnt driving it at the moment, so I have the time to troubleshoot it before my grandson gets here. Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a vehicle that was handed down to my daughter a couple of years ago. Here are the issues that shes experiencing,
1.) Air bag light on constantly
You'll need a code reader that can decode SRS codes to know for certain, but it is most likely a fault in the wires for the driver's seat belt pretensioner. Count the flashes when it starts up: 3 flashes followed by 3 more is the drivers' seat, 3 followed by 4 is the passenger's. Not sure what it does for both.
2.) Constant "service engine soon", ive just been told that its been on for maybe a year(she doesnt live near us). She has kept up on LOF intervals.
Again, you'll need a code reader to know for sure, but SES light constantly on in an older vehicle is usually for a dead oxygen sensor. might be for a dead catalytic converter, but the sensors are more likely.
3.) The front passenger power window operates, but will only go down from the drivers switch, and will only go up from the front passenger switch. I did find a broken black wire in the drivers side hinge boot and repaired it, but it didnt fix the issue.
One or both of the switches is probably bad.
4.) Dome light has to be turned off manually.
First: lock the doors and set the alarm (press the lock button on the remote a second time). If the light stays on:
  • Check the dimmer switch for the dash to see if it's all the way up.
  • Check the "delayed accessory power" relay.
  • Is the door ajar light on all the time? If so, probably a bad lead to a door switch somewhere. Keep in mind there are 6 or 7 switches depending on the security system - 4 for the doors, 1 on the hood, and 1 for each half of the hatch.

Im hoping to address these issues very quickly. Her and her husband are expecting their first child in a few months and she isnt driving it at the moment, so I have the time to troubleshoot it before my grandson gets here. Thank you
Congrats on the grandson!

Thanks!
I found a broken black wire in the drivers door boot. I repaired it and now the dome light operates normally with the off delay.
The passenger door down circuit at the motor connector is only receiving 10vdc. I used one of the other door switches to test and still only showed 10vdc. If i understand correctly, the power the passenger door switches is supplied by the master switch in the drivers door. So, would it be safe to say that i should start by replacing the master switch? To be honest, i believe i checked incoming power to the master switch at about 14vdc, but i failed to write it down, so im not 100% on that.
Thanks for any and all help!

I also checked continuity of the wires in the harness between the master switch and the passenger door switch and i didnt find any breaks.

My memory is also that the pass. switch is fed through the driver's switch, and you should be seeing more than 10v at the pass. switch.

You could try jumping the leads on the DS harness to each other to see if the wiring works for up and down.

Thats gonna be my next step. Thanks
I also had another question regarding the window regulators. If the motor is working but the cable assembly is shot, can the motor be swapped to a new regulator, or does it only come as an assembly with the motor installed?

Back