02 Explorer XLT Engine Swap Help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer XLT Engine Swap Help.

X.PRFXN

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hey everyone, new here to the board. I own a 2002 XLT 4l. Now the engine is getting very week. I made the mistake of not buying a v8 and now need extra power. I have looked online in regards to a 4l to 4.6 or 5.4 swap and find all info for the older models but none for 02 and up. Any ideas or if someone knows of someone who has done this? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.6 only has about 10hp more than the V6, doesn't it. Better off supercharging your V6.

The V8 has 239hp 282 ft-lbs tq, the V6 205 hp 242 ft-lbs tq. So not a huge difference, but noticeable.

A swap is possible, but I would probably just go find a v8 explorer. It will take a whole lot less time, be cheaper, and you won't be out your vehicle for weeks/months/years. If you are really wanting more power, you could look at a newer v8 explorer with 292 hp, or a completely different SUV.

I put a 4.0 out of an 07 Mustang in my 04 Ex. Runs like a top and less Money for that engine with 52,000 miles than one out another Ex that had way more miles on it. The v8 changeover is way more involved for what the truck is worth. Fix and sell then buy a v8.

2 questions:
1.) How do you Supercharge your 4.0L V6 engine?
2.) Just about to drop the new/rebuilt V6 back into my 02', aside from reconnecting all the electric, hoses, battery, etc. Will I need to do anything else to make it start again? This is my first engine swap, and not sure what to expect.

Back