02 Explorer XLT: I turn the ignition off and the radio turns off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer XLT: I turn the ignition off and the radio turns off

beertracker

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
02 Explorer XLT. My chimes are working again after replacing drivers side door ajar switch. Now a new problem has occurrred. First, when working properly, if the radio was on when I turned the ignition off the radio would stay on until I opened and closed the drivers door and then shut off

I already looked here and no luck. Radio stays on when truck shut down...

Here is the new problem. Now as soon as I turn the ignition off and the radio turns off. So back to searching this forum, google and youtube for ideas. Nothing is easy!

I think it's working now and I am leaving well enough alone. All I did was remove the positive battery cable and ground it to the negative battery terminal. This would reset the micro-controllers and electronics. Re-connected postive cable to positive terminal. Started the engine, turned ON radio, turned key OFF, radio continued to play, opened door and radio turned off. Good enough for me. I think this is normal operation? If this is not the correct sequence let me know?

After turning off the engine, the radio should continue to play for 6 minutes, and the windows should operate as well. After 6 minutes, then the radio and windows quit working. If you open the door before 6 minutes, then the radio and windows quit working. If you got it fixed, then its fixed. I was wondering if you were using Ford parts -- I originally purchased my drivers door ajar switch from Napa, and when I couldn't get the situation fixed properly, I drove to the Ford dealer where they scanned it and told me it was a defective Napa part, as well as the front passenger door defective switch.

Fordysenior, thanks for your help and insight into my problem. No, I didn't use a Ford door ajar switch. I used this one from Amazon; Standard Motor Products AW-1003 Door Jamb Switch .

Before I installed the part I tested it with a ohmmeter. As you noted defective parts are always a possibility.

The last new problem is the passenger dome light stopped working. I isolated it down to a defect white push on-off switch in the overhead console. I just ordered replacement switch a few minutes ago. That wraps up my Explorer problems for now. bt

Back