• Register Today It's free!

02 Expo transfer case weight?

Scurvy

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0l
Thinking about getting a tcase from the wrecker in hopes that it'll fix my no-reverse issue on my expo but I'm not entirely sure if this is a job I can do alone or will need help (I'll have help putting it in, but removing it at the wrecker I might be alone).

So how much does the tcase from a 2002 Ford Expo weigh?

Also, what years/models have the same tcase? Would one from a Sport Trac be the same? I'm just trying to figure out what my options are once I get to the wrecker...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe 75 pounds, may be off a few one way or the other. Make sure the replacement has the same spec. # and ratio as the old one.

I believe 75 pounds, may be off a few one way or the other. Make sure the replacement has the same spec. # and ratio as the old one.

Perfect. Where would I find the spec # and ratio? Is that something thats on the tcase itself, or would I need to check door codes or the VIN or something on the vehicle?

It will hsve a tag on the case itself. Good luck.

a t-case will not help your no reverse that is a transmission function
roscoe

a t-case will not help your no reverse that is a transmission function
roscoe

Transman304 disagrees.

Your transfer case is worn and needs replaced or rebuilt if you have reverse in 4 low. The rear case half wears at the bore for the range hub fork rail and allows the hub to disengage. 4 low doesn’t have that element in use which will give you reverse.

He seems to know what hes talking about, so I'm going to have to take his word on it. I first assumed it was a tranny problem as well, but apparently not.

@transman304 , can you enlighten me on how reverse is affected by a bad t-case? From what I am aware of and the few transmissions I have worked on reverse is a function of the transmission.

@Scurvy Taking out a transfer case is easier than getting it back in, but it would be safer with an extra pair of hands, especially if you have never done it before. A 75lb t-case suspended 2 feet in the air while sliding it off a tail shaft is not something you want falling on you.

You are correct that reverse is a function of the transmission. But what is missing in this post is that he has reverse in 4low from his previous post. The range hub fork and rail wear the case halves and will allow the range hub to be pushed out of place and disengage itself. The angle cut gears of the planets will push it away as pressure is applied to the case. In 4low the range hub is buried in the planets and hs nowhere to go but to stay engaged. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks! That's great info to know.

You’re very welcome.

Back