'02 Ford F-150 vs. '03 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Ford F-150 vs. '03 Ford Explorer XLT

superfestiva

Reaction score
City, State
Santo Domingo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2003 XLT 4WD
Hey guys:
I want to ask this stupid question: Which truck is better for off-roading if you don't have a clue how to?:(

I am the worst off-roader ever, have gotten stuck a couple of times in my X and am thinking of changing the X for the F150 which is way larger, has a V8 and is much more comfortable...;)

I am saying stock vs. stock, is the F-150 better for this? What I dislike about the Explorer in 4x4 is that you don't feel the superb grip that a Land Cruiser or Chevy Avalanche has...:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Answers anyone?

:popcorn:

Stock for Stock, The F150 would surpass the explorer in off-road capability. The F150 will likely have better 4wd, and also has a solid rear axle and stronger front suspension for durability. It also obviously has larger stock tires. The only thing your explorer has over the F150 is being not as wide. That helps with tight spots.

There is the option of getting a second explorer for off-road purposes as well, in which case I would get a first generation. True 4 wheel drive, strong front and rear suspension, easy to modify. Not to mention less things to break.

The X is wider than the F-150? hmmmm...I thought the F-150 was way wider since the interior has a lot more space...:(

I have not driven one but I've been on some and they are amazingly comfortable...I know that it has good mpg in hwy at low rpm's...stuck in traffic they are gas guzzlers...:( but can't beat the power of a V8!

Is the 4x4 a true 4x4? I am saying real not like the X?

Sorry, the F-150 is wider than the explorer. That's what I meant.

As with any large V8, the fuel mileage may not be as good. But at the same time they can get better fuel mileage in many circumstances. The F-150 will not suffer as big a drop in mileage from towing large loads and such. And as far as Full size trucks go, the F-150 is going to have as good fuel mileage as you are going to find.

And with the F-150, yes you can get real 4x4.

Sorry, the F-150 is wider than the explorer. That's what I meant.

As with any large V8, the fuel mileage may not be as good. But at the same time they can get better fuel mileage in many circumstances. The F-150 will not suffer as big a drop in mileage from towing large loads and such. And as far as Full size trucks go, the F-150 is going to have as good fuel mileage as you are going to find.

And with the F-150, yes you can get real 4x4.

I have to agree that older Explorers somehow have better 4x4 capability...or maybe it is just me...I had a '99 XLT and when I went to the same hill I went two months ago I passed it with not many problems...the '03 on the other hand, gave me a terrible headache and maybe this is why it is on the shop getting a tranny rebuild :(

Is the '04 F-150 easier to maintain or better for off-roading than the '97-'03 version? If it happened on the Explorers it may have happened on the F-150's...

Back