02 Intake Manifold Coolant Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Intake Manifold Coolant Leak

fusseli

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6L
Unfortunately, I believe I have one. My 4.6L appears to have the all-composite intake manifold that was prone to cracking. I just noticed the puddle around the frontmost passenger-side fuel injector.

I can't tell where it's coming from. It seems to appear out of nowhere in the channel between some runners in the front middle of the intake, and appears to flow downhill to collect on the injector and drip down farther from there. See pic below. Definately not the thermostat housing leaking and it doesn't look like pics I've seen of the catastrophic break.

Haven't noticed any measurable coolant loss or high temps yet and I'm not sure how long this has been leaking.

ideas? A new & improved manifold is about $170 and a good amount of work to put on...

0718101638b.jpg

Unfortunately, I believe I have one. My 4.6L appears to have the all-composite intake manifold that was prone to cracking. I just noticed the puddle around the frontmost passenger-side fuel injector.

I can't tell where it's coming from. It seems to appear out of nowhere in the channel between some runners in the front middle of the intake, and appears to flow downhill to collect on the injector and drip down farther from there. See pic below. Definately not the thermostat housing leaking and it doesn't look like pics I've seen of the catastrophic break.

Haven't noticed any measurable coolant loss or high temps yet and I'm not sure how long this has been leaking.

ideas? A new & improved manifold is about $170 and a good amount of work to put on...

0718101638b.jpg

That's a bummer. I have managed to not have this problem yet, but my (limited) understanding is that the manifolds eventually crack and the result is this leak. I don't think that there is any alternative but to replace it.

Back