How to: - '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So I bought some cams today. They are oem GT supercar and 2013-2014 GT500 new take out cams. They should be pretty decent N/A and will be great when I add the blower.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And that didn't take long. I don't even have the cams or the C port heads on yet and I just bought a m122 blower from a 2010 GT500. I think I am just going to pull the engine back out when the weather gets nicer and do everything at once. Going to upgrade rods and pistons while its out.

any updates on this, just did the 4.6 sohc swap myself and am thinking about buying a aviator to snag the motor/breaks from.

any updates on this, just did the 4.6 sohc swap myself and am thinking about buying a aviator to snag the motor/breaks from.

I pretty much scrapped the imrc install. I did get some better tuning and it runs so much better now. I just swapped the rear gears last night for 3.73 and carbon fiber clutch pack in the diff. It was 3.55 and open carrier. I need to swap the front gears still. I just yanked out the front driveshaft so it's drive able until I can do the fronts. My dad is doing a 5.0 coyote swap in his '04 cobra. I gave him my larger supercharger for his project. I am going to take his old terminator engine and put it in my explorer. I kept my camshafts also, which are '13 gt500 cams. They will be going in the terminator as well. I wanted to keep the aluminum block that I have, but the chance to upgrade outweighs that. So now I will have a complete mark vii teksid block 4.6, and a newer explorer shirt block with a set of complete "c" port heads.

wow nice project
I think the next thing I am going to do to my 2004 explorer 4.0 is the
5.0 coyote swap with Tremec T-56 Magnum Trans challenge
now the explorer is supercharged at 9psi lots of fun
I pretty much scrapped the imrc install. I did get some better tuning and it runs so much better now. I just swapped the rear gears last night for 3.73 and carbon fiber clutch pack in the diff. It was 3.55 and open carrier. I need to swap the front gears still. I just yanked out the front driveshaft so it's drive able until I can do the fronts. My dad is doing a 5.0 coyote swap in his '04 cobra. I gave him my larger supercharger for his project. I am going to take his old terminator engine and put it in my explorer. I kept my camshafts also, which are '13 gt500 cams. They will be going in the terminator as well. I wanted to keep the aluminum block that I have, but the chance to upgrade outweighs that. So now I will have a complete mark vii teksid block 4.6, and a newer explorer shirt block with a set of complete "c" port heads.

Thanks. I got the front diff swapped, I am starting on my dads car in a week or 2 still buying parts for his swap. It will probably be summer or fall before I get the terminator in my explorer. I would love to do a coyote swap in my explorer. Maybe on my next one. I have let 2 f150 coyote cores go back to ford. I could have bought them for $750 each.

Dam I cant get nothing for ford here in Japan
everything is only from the dealer
or I have to ship it in from the USA
Thanks. I got the front diff swapped, I am starting on my dads car in a week or 2 still buying parts for his swap. It will probably be summer or fall before I get the terminator in my explorer. I would love to do a coyote swap in my explorer. Maybe on my next one. I have let 2 f150 coyote cores go back to ford. I could have bought them for $750 each.

Uh oh, things are happening.

DA1CA504-47D1-42D3-B184-FC29E8F47E18_zpsgin5akjc.jpg

I am a little worried about it fitting. The alternator sticks out pretty far, and the dual belt setup eats up a lot of room between the radiator and engine. I might need a slim electric fan setup. I can't start on it until it warms up and I can drive my m5. Plus I need to replace the water pump and change the cams the the new engine.

Engine

Very Nice!
I can not wait to see the picture when this engine is in the Explorer.
That's is going to look awesome!

4.6 DOHC if I'm not mistaken.

It's a '03-'04 mustang cobra "terminator" engine. 4.6l dohc supercharged.

I have sct pro racer software to tune the factory pcm. And I am going to build a 5r55 with some stronger parts. The mustang has the same trans so there are decent parts out there. They are putting some power through this trans.

do you know about the 5R55S ?

I have sct pro racer software to tune the factory pcm. And I am going to build a 5r55 with some stronger parts. The mustang has the same trans so there are decent parts out there. They are putting some power through this trans.

do you know about the 5R55S ?

In what regards? I would have to say yes. I am a ford senior master technician and I am the lead transmission tech at my dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok
I ask you because I have in my 2004 explorer the 5R55S transmission
Question is the 5R55S transmission a good transmission ?

In what regards? I would have to say yes. I am a ford senior master technician and I am the lead transmission tech at my dealership.

Back