How to: - '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Ok
I ask you because I have in my 2004 explorer the 5R55S transmission
Question is the 5R55S transmission a good transmission ?

They are okay. Once they get some miles on them the servo pin bores wear out in the case. There is a repair kit with bronze sleeves to fix it better than new. Plus with some upgraded frictions and steels and bands, and a proper overhaul they can handle some power. Turbo mustang guys are putting some power through them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2004 explorer has now reach 35,000-Km
would a ratchet shifter for the mustang work no the 5R55S ?

hey how is your project going ?

They are okay. Once they get some miles on them the servo pin bores wear out in the case. There is a repair kit with bronze sleeves to fix it better than new. Plus with some upgraded frictions and steels and bands, and a proper overhaul they can handle some power. Turbo mustang guys are putting some power through them.

The mustang shifter would work, just make sure the linkage on the trans is the same, also, you would have to get the shifter cable from the mustang. You could also look into the 2006-2010 explorer shifter. They all have floor shifters. Make sure you get one from a v6 and not a v8. The v8 had a different trans.

I almost have the terminator ready to go in. Had to replace a couple secondary timing chain tensioners, and all of the gaskets. I thought I was going to need to splice an oil pump pickup tube together like I did with the mark viii engine. I discovered that ford made 2 different tube sizes. My current engine has the smaller tube and the new engine is the larger. When I put the mark viii engine in I cut the lower portion off of an '07 3valve explorer pickup that I had, and welded it to the upper portion of the mark viii pickup. I now know that the 02-05 explorer 4.6 2v had a smaller diameter tube and the 06-10 4.6 3valve has the larger. I could have just bought the earlier style tube and not had to weld anything. Smh. Oh well, 1 less thing to worry about. I just need to get another side project done and I will be able to put the new engine in. Hopefully around the first of April I should get started on it. I can't wait to hear that kitten strangler moving some air.

I almost have the terminator ready to go in. Had to replace a couple secondary timing chain tensioners, and all of the gaskets. I thought I was going to need to splice an oil pump pickup tube together like I did with the mark viii engine. I discovered that ford made 2 different tube sizes. My current engine has the smaller tube and the new engine is the larger. When I put the mark viii engine in I cut the lower portion off of an '07 3valve explorer pickup that I had, and welded it to the upper portion of the mark viii pickup. I now know that the 02-05 explorer 4.6 2v had a smaller diameter tube and the 06-10 4.6 3valve has the larger. I could have just bought the earlier style tube and not had to weld anything. Smh. Oh well, 1 less thing to worry about. I just need to get another side project done and I will be able to put the new engine in. Hopefully around the first of April I should get started on it. I can't wait to hear that kitten strangler moving some air.

HEY what about the photo ?
photo tells a million story's

05916081-8DE0-48B5-B65C-04E1EE01B196_zpsmychbhz7.jpg

This is all I have so far. But it's ready to go in. New cams installed and resealed.

Explorer

Yes, like it is sneaking around the corner to see it's new power plant!

Yes, it's wrinkle finish blue.

Patience young padawan.

I have to get my friends cobra done before I can work on my project.

If I were going to go though this much trouble I'd figure out how to make a 5.4L Triton out of a F150 fit or better yet a 5.7L HEMI or even a LS1.

If I were going to go though this much trouble I'd figure out how to make a 5.4L Triton out of a F150 fit or better yet a 5.7L HEMI or even a LS1.

At one point I had a 5.4 dohc to swap in, but I decided to scrap the idea and try a 4.6. I know a 5.4 sohc fits in there relatively easily. I already have a 4.6 dohc, so going to a terminator is almost plug and play. There isn't an f150 5.4 out there that will handle what a terminator can. The cost alone to do anything other than what I have done would make me not want to do it. I have roughly $1000 in this entire build. I would never use anything from dodge. And an ls1 swap sounds hideous.

At one point I had a 5.4 dohc to swap in, but I decided to scrap the idea and try a 4.6. I know a 5.4 sohc fits in there relatively easily. I already have a 4.6 dohc, so going to a terminator is almost plug and play. There isn't an f150 5.4 out there that will handle what a terminator can. The cost alone to do anything other than what I have done would make me not want to do it. I have roughly $1000 in this entire build. I would never use anything from dodge. And an ls1 swap sounds hideous.

just do your thing

Ok
So when start my new project
Maybe I have fly you and { Number4 }
over to help me too

I have my passport all ready, I would love to go to to Japan, just say when. Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I had some more side work pop up, so I have been busy. I sold my 20" Flex wheels and and ordered some 20" adrenalin wheels. Also the day after I sold them, the transmission decided it didn't want to shift anymore. Not a big deal, it was coming out anyway with the new engine, but now I can't drive it.

Back