'02 Limited - Back Hatch Glass Exploded | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Limited - Back Hatch Glass Exploded

trk10k

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited
We have an '02 Limited that is just out of warranty (Like a few hundred miles) and my wife was at the store getting some groceries. She opened the window part of the back hatch to put her bags in and heard something funny. She pulled the top part back down to see what it was and it exploded/shattered into thousands of little pieces. The entire window is gone and the glass is very brittle and breaks off into honeycomb like pieces. There was no slamming or being forceful with the upper part of the door involved. There are very few pieces of the glass left that are any bigger than an eraser on top of a pencil.

She was ok, thank God, but very shaken. Has anyone heard of this happening? Any ideas? I'm worried about the dealership saying too bad, so sad...you're on your own.

Some other people in the parking lot thought it might be heat related, but we're in MD, it's been cloudy and overcast all day and about 85 degrees. We moved out here from OK about 6 months ago and have had it since Feb 2002. That was heat, not here.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken there was a recall for this exact thing. We have an early '02 and the way the shocks mount to the glass puts a ton of stress on it. The true '02s we redisigned(my sis has one). Not sure what is involved with the recall but definetly take it to the dealer and demand them to fix it. Good Luck! Glad to hear you wife is ok though!

Back