'02 Mountie "O/D off" light goin' flashy flashy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Mountie "O/D off" light goin' flashy flashy

mrau92me

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
2002 Mountaineer, 4.0L V6, currently 176k miles (1 owner)
Auto Tranny history:
- At 80k or 90k miles: I had Big10 change fluid cuz owner’s manual said to. I don’t remember if they changed the filter or not (not 100% sure they changed anything really)
- At approx. 160k miles: Had Fluid & filter changed by a trusted auto shop (because I had just checked it & the fluid was brown in color)
- Last week – I changed tranny fluid & filter myself (because the shifts were seeming a little harsh and I thought there was a shudder-seemed like those rumble strips on the road)
- Yesterday morning, something didn’t seem to be right about it when driving, kind of like a little bit of a shift delay, revving higher before going into the next gear (seemingly lower gears), but I wasn’t sure because I was running late and was driving a tad more aggressive. Anyway, that afternoon, on the return home, I was driving more relaxed at about 45 mph when the “O/D off” light started flashing rapidly and the message center displayed “Check Transmission”. Afterward, I noticed the downshift from 2-1 when slowing down would give a bump that it didn’t do before. I drove it again about 5 pm, and the light began flashing again after about 5 minutes with same symptoms. After car sat for about 3 hours, drove it & got same results, except in the first 2 minutes, the tranny made a long odd sound going from 1st into 2nd but didn't do it again for the remainder of a 15 minute drive.

Any ideas? Also, anybody know how I can get the tranny codes myself? I have laptop and a tablet. Autozone said they couldn’t get tranny codes with their reader. Could it be solenoid pack? It crossed my mind to go ahead and change it when I was looking at it during the filter change last week. Or, could this be the worn servo bore issue? I was thinking my ’02 Mountie wouldn’t have that problem (but not sure which tranny I have really, 5R55?). THANKS!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I guess I gave too much info. Let me simplify with this question: How I can get the tranny codes myself? I have laptop and a tablet. Autozone said they couldn’t get tranny codes with their reader.

Also, could I have caused a problem by disturbing the tranny's rear speed sensor because I removed it (but left it connected) and used that hole to refill the tranny during the fluid/filter change last week?

You need a code reader that can read manufacture specific transmission codes. You have a 5R55W trans. With that many miles it could be a lot of things. You need to pull the code or codes.

Thanks for the reply, PopRichie77. Through a Facebook post, I've got a friend of a friend that has volunteered to pull the codes using his code reader, but he doesn't live that close, so I hate to put him to alot of trouble and I'm hesitant to drive it for fear of doing irreparable damage to the trannie.

Does anyone know if any of those bluetooth readers that can be used with an app for Android devices have the capability of reading the mfr.-specific transmission codes?

You need a code reader that can read manufacture specific transmission codes. You have a 5R55W trans. With that many miles it could be a lot of things. You need to pull the code or codes.

OK, the code is P0741.

And, here's what happened leading up to finally having a shop hook up & pull the codes today. I was 1st wanting to double check the fluid level, but my wife needed to drive it to a nearby town (10 miles away) today. So, O/D light started flashing 2 minutes into the trip (which is consistent w/ what it had been doing). After lunch w/ friends, ran some errands, and she called & said the flashing light had not returned and seemed to shifting fine. She had time, so I had her take it by a familiar auto shop (not a tranny-only shop) to pull the stored code (guy said P0741 indicated either a solenoid or bad torque converter).
On way home, something happened that had not happened yet...she stopped by a drive-thru, & when she pulled out, car wouldn't hardly accelerate...she called me and as got 3 miles from home, it still wouldn't hardly accelerate and she said it then would rev up but not accelerate much (sounds like slipping to me). The flashing light came back on at this point. Then, she said it started doing better as she got within a mile or 2 of home. Oh and during the midst of this, she told me that the shop had cleared the stored code (which I did not want), saying it would drive better. I've heard that when the OD light flashes the computer increases tranny pressures to prevent slipping. could the shop clearing the code be the reason why it started acting up like it hadn't before?
OK, so I'd appreciate some expert opinions on the cause and the next steps, please. thanks!

Clearing the stored code won't cause new problems. P0741 is torque converter not locking or slipping, this can be caused by many things, rarely does it turn out to be a simple fix. Sounds like the hydraulic pressure is low. As soon as the light started flashing again the pressure would be increased some again.

Check the fluid level, this is done by adding fluid till it comes out the overflow.

OK, some info she forgot to tell me. The car had been running without the light flashing for awhile prior to and while they read the code. Then, drove it 15 min back to our town, then cut it off to fuel up. It was then that she drove across the street to the drivethru, then pulled out and started experiencing the lack of acceleration and the flashin light reappeared, etc. (said she probably couldn't get over 25mph). Closer to home for a mile stretch she said acceleration returned but went away the next time after making a turn.

Could it actually be that I didn't put enough fluid back in it after I changed the fluid&filter? Could it be I didn't let the engine run long enough before I drained what I thought was excess? Or, does it seem worth my while to check it again? I went to check it Saturday but my socket rounded out the plug's hex :(
Side note in case it might be related: I'll also add that she said the info center, when she left the house earlier, was saying 60 mi of fuel remaining but then noticed it had changed to 111 mi remaining a few minutes after that.

Clearing the stored code won't cause new problems. P0741 is torque converter not locking or slipping, this can be caused by many things, rarely does it turn out to be a simple fix. Sounds like the hydraulic pressure is low. As soon as the light started flashing again the pressure would be increased some again.

Check the fluid level, this is done by adding fluid till it comes out the overflow.

Any estimation how long I should let it idle this time so that I'm sure the fluid that's in it is within the correct temperature range before I check it? What if I just wait until the thermostat opens the first time, or will that be too hot?

OK, I drained the fluid and put an additional 2.5 quarts in it from what I drained out. I have no clue how I was 2.5 quarts low...I did the same procedure both time, except I may have let it idle longer this time. Afterward, I started to drive it, and when it shifted to 2nd the very first time, the tranny made this bad sound (kind of like what it sounds like when you're driving on gravel) and it started slipping (rev up but not pulling). I stopped then put it in 1 and the sound went away, and I turned around and parked it back in my garage.

OK, just a little bit ago, I started it in the garage. I shifted into reverse and without taking my foot off the brake, I immediately got this whirring sound. It was like something engaged, started turning and making this whirring sound. Then, I shifted into neutral, it stopped. Then, into D, it did the same thing that it did in Reverse. BUT, when I shifted all the way down into 1, the whirring sound stopped, and it also seemed normal in 2 and 3. I went back into D and R again and the whirring sound was there again.
I appreciate any solid help I can get. Thanks.

P0741

Bump

OK, I drained the fluid and put an additional 2.5 quarts in it from what I drained out. I have no clue how I was 2.5 quarts low...I did the same procedure both time, except I may have let it idle longer this time. Afterward, I started to drive it, and when it shifted to 2nd the very first time, the tranny made this bad sound (kind of like what it sounds like when you're driving on gravel) and it started slipping (rev up but not pulling). I stopped then put it in 1 and the sound went away, and I turned around and parked it back in my garage.

OK, just a little bit ago, I started it in the garage. I shifted into reverse and without taking my foot off the brake, I immediately got this whirring sound. It was like something engaged, started turning and making this whirring sound. Then, I shifted into neutral, it stopped. Then, into D, it did the same thing that it did in Reverse. BUT, when I shifted all the way down into 1, the whirring sound stopped, and it also seemed normal in 2 and 3. I went back into D and R again and the whirring sound was there again.

Sounds like this transmission has multiple problems, it really just needs to be removed and completely dismantled and inspected, something broke and it has TCC problems as well.

Back