02 Ranger fuel filter removal help needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Ranger fuel filter removal help needed.

jpdaniel

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ranger Super Cab XLT
That should read '02 not '03 in the header. Don't think that matters but just in case.
I bought a metal fuel filter removal tool from Autozone that doesn't help get the line off at all and I can't even see how that tool is going to even fit on the other lines that have even less space for the tool to fit. Anyone find a tool that actually works? Oh Yea, the little plastic tools at the store where hard to get on a filter in the store, can't imagine doing it under the truck.

Hope to get some info before I take truck off of ramps and repressurize the fuel line, Thanks much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Thanks for the help

My first online forum and I'm finding my way, slowly. On day 2 of Ranger fuel filter from hell r & r. The fuel line disconnect tool that everyone talks about just doesn't even fit (the scissors type). Arrrggghhhhh. Looks like a trip to the shop and probably a $100 for what should be a fairy simple task.

Not sure what you mean? The fuel line connector is a push on that isn't coming off too easily.

Some clarification using the tool (apologies if you already know this):

Relieve the fuel pressure first!
Clip the tool around the fuel line, with the snout pointing toward the fuel line. Push the snout into the flared opening of the fuel line - push it in as far as it will go. While holding the tool and fuel line in one hand, grasp the filter in the other hand, twist slightly to break any seal, and pull the filter out of the fuel line. (Gas will drain out of the filter and line at this point.) Repeat for the other side.
To install the new filter, just push the filter snout into the flared opening of the fuel line - no tools needed.

As mentioned in original post, I tried some small plastic ones in the store, do you have anything else that you've tried or even those?

As I recall you only need that tool for one or two of the connections. The other two (or one) have a clip that needs to be pulled out, then the line just slides out of the filter.

The older models had the clips (way better deal) the newer have the connectors from hell on all three lines, two going in from gas tank and one out to the engine. Thanks everyone, but I'm going to take my $8 useless tool back to AutoStop and pay my mechanic $40 to change the filter out. Probably sell the truck before it needs a new filter anyway. I used to turn wrenches for a living and now here's one less thing I can do myself. :~)

I know the older models had the clips but my 02 also has a clip on one or two of those three lines. When I changed my fuel filter, I thought the same as you. I had a terrible time getting the filter off with the tool.

I finally gave up the first try and found out later I didn't get one of the lines snapped back in properly. As I was driving down an Interstate the power shut down and would idle but not pull under load. When I pulled off, I could smell fuel. I jumped out of the truck to find fuel pouring out under the truck near the fuel filter. I immediately pulled the truck forward and shut the ignition off just in case the fuel ignited. I thought the fuel line had broken but when I pushed in on the fuel line at the filter it snapped into place and the leak stopped. I was so happy it was such a simple fix but felt stupid that I caused the problem.

The next weekend I was determined that I would figure out how to replace the filter. I modified the tool, I tried small screw drivers, I tried force short of breaking it and so on. Then I saw the clip. I could not believe they would mix different connectors. I pulled out the clip and the line came out as smooth as can be. The line(s) that come apart with the tool also came out easily.

I don't know if your 02 is the same as mine but take advice from my experience and at least take a look for the clip.

To whoever is modifying my post, I prefer to use my own words.

Man, that's quite the freak out! I bet a fat nickel that someone must have torn out the lines (probably while doing the fuel filter trip) and replaced them w/clips. Really strange to have both types, I'd like to change them out and will check with my mechanic on that for future applications. My son has a '89 Ranger with clips so I've seen them. Thanks much for all your input, appreciate that.

See the fuel filter removal thread for info and pics...

I changed my fuel filter 3 weeks ago.. I used a metal tool and needed to squeeze it all the way down with a pair of needle nose pliers.. I tried using just my hands, but I couldn't get the tool in far enough (it needs to go all the way in). When I squeezed the tool in with the piers I could feel the fingers release and easily disconnect the fuel line..

fuelfilter2.jpg

Back