'02 rear glass hatch latch adj fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 rear glass hatch latch adj fix

Russ in CT

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Just picked up an '02 Ex with 107K on it (eBay). I found that the rear glass hatch was really difficult to shut. If I slammed it, it would just bounce back and not latch. You had to slam it hard, but keep pressure on it as you did, or else it wouldn't catch. Even then it was hit or miss.

I knew my wife would end up driving around with it unlatched, and not even know it. On my '99 Ex, the catch was adjustable. But the '02 does not appear to be.

But I fixed it by adding a shim under the mount for the U shaped piece attached to the glass. I probably could have ovaled out the mounts for the catch instead, to add adjustability, but the shims seemed easier.

Open the glass, and remove the long, narrow trim panel that covers the rear wiper motor and U shaped latch mount. It just pops off. Be careful in real cold weather, it might crack on you. Keep pulling, it will pop off.

I took two fender washers, cut a slot in them, and this is what I used to shim the U latch mount.

There are two studs that the U latch is mounted on, and this is also the lower mount for the wiper motor. Loosen the first two nuts that mount the wiper motor, then loosen the second two that secure the U latch.

Slide your notched washers under the U latch mount (slot allows them to slide over studs). You could also just remove the wiper motor and U latch completely, then you wouldn't need to slot the washers, but then you'd be stressing the wiper mount where it goes through the glass. But that would probably work if you're careful.

Tighten it all back up, and pop the trim back on. Get it in place, and with several well placed wacks with your hand it snaps back in place.

The 1/16" washers were just enough to fix the problem. The hatch closes now with a nice thump, without having to slam it (still have to be firm, you want a tight seal when it latches).

Back