• Register Today It's free!

02 sensors

DakotaExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Stanwood, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport Trac
I’ve got a check engine light and the scanner says it’s running lean. The person that helped me said it’s probably an 02 sensor, I’ve never fixed that and I was told that you can clean them sometimes? Does anyone know if that’s a possibility or if you have to replace them? And if you have to replace them is there anything to it other than disconnecting and reconnecting? Also it’s on an 01 sport trac, thank you!

How many miles on the sport trac? It could be the fuel pump, or even filter. Best way to tell is autozone has a loan-a-tool problem and you can get a fuel pressure tester. Your truck has a valve on the fuel rail, think almost like a car tire. You would just check it there.
Then if fuel pressure is good I would try and clean the o2sensor. I like to use a “throttle body cleaner” spray. I have used plain old brake cleaner as well but I’m not going to recommend it. The throttle body cleaner is specifically made to not remove coatings in a throttle body, so it is slightly less agressive on your 02 sensors than brake cleaner. If you have an air compressor, blow the “blades” dry. Just make sure the cleaner doesn’t get blown in your eyes. If no compressor, let sit 20-30 minutes before re-installing. The o2 sensor is regular thread ( righty tighty, lefty loosey) , and 7/8 inch wrench if I recall correctly.

How many miles on the sport trac? It could be the fuel pump, or even filter. Best way to tell is autozone has a loan-a-tool problem and you can get a fuel pressure tester. Your truck has a valve on the fuel rail, think almost like a car tire. You would just check it there.
Then if fuel pressure is good I would try and clean the o2sensor. I like to use a “throttle body cleaner” spray. I have used plain old brake cleaner as well but I’m not going to recommend it. The throttle body cleaner is specifically made to not remove coatings in a throttle body, so it is slightly less agressive on your 02 sensors than brake cleaner. If you have an air compressor, blow the “blades” dry. Just make sure the cleaner doesn’t get blown in your eyes. If no compressor, let sit 20-30 minutes before re-installing. The o2 sensor is regular thread ( righty tighty, lefty loosey) , and 7/8 inch wrench if I recall correctly.
Thank you for the help, we looked a little more and it was a vacuum line for the fuel Evan system. However if it happens again I’ll be sure to check out this thread!

Back