02 Sport Broken Liftgate Handle Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Broken Liftgate Handle Replacement

02ExplorerSportG

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer sport
Rear liftgate wasn't opening so I pulled back the rear panel and checked out the mechanisms, rods, and yellow plastic pieces. They all check out, but the actual liftgate handle is broken. This piece is bolted in with unfamiliar screws/washers/rivets?? How do I remove these??? Do I need to force them off or drill them out and just all out replace them with real screws, nuts, and washers after installing a new handle?

Here are 4 pictures of the screws I'm talking about (3 from the inside and 1 from the outside)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97743056@N05/9090492328/in/photostream/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im having the same issue. Hopefully someone can help us both!

I posted in another forum and a couple people responded saying they were rivets and to drill them out. The thing is, its easier to drill them out from the inside, but all the mechanisms are in the way. So I tried to drill them out from the outside, but I think I need a stronger drill. Anyway I will keep trying and give an update. Let me know if you come across anything.
Thanks

I have the same issue. After replacing one of those little plastic clips, the handle itself broke... :-\

Did you have any luck removing the rivets, and did you install the new handle with regular bolts and nuts then?

I ended up drilling through the rivets (partially making strange shaped holes along the way) so the rivets fell out. I bought a couple of new screws and nuts and installed the new handle. However, the yellow plastic pin from the lock mechanism that goes into the handle just kept slipping out. I took it to a mechanic who tried to mess around with it and he said that the mechanism is broken. He called Ford and they told him its almost $300 for a new lock mechanism so he told me to check the local junkyards to see if I can find it for cheaper. Anyway, I haven't done anything about it yet. I've just been pulling the two horizontal rods that go to the left and right to open the liftgate for the time being. I hope the junkyards don't make me buy the whole liftgate just to get that piece! What a pain in the ass for something so miniscule!@!

The rivets are easy to remove ... Take a center punch and knock the center steel core out and then drill the aluminum rivets out .. For me the automatic center punches work best..

I have a same issue, i bought a new handle for it. The yellow clip keeps slipping out from the handle.. Any suggestion pls help us out

i have a same issue, i bought a new handle for it. The yellow clip keeps slipping out from the handle.. Any suggestion pls help us out
just wonderring did you buy the liftgate handle aftermarket or original part from ford dealer?

Bought it aftermarket. Still haven't fixed it. I don't think the handle has anything to do with it, because it's that yellow piece thats slipping out.

Lately though, the mechanism for the window of the liftgate is also starting to malfunction. I have to push in the window to a little bit to get it to pop open. I am sure that mechanism will fail soon as well.

I think it almost might be better, cheaper, and easier to get a whole new liftgate at a junkyard rather than dealing with trying to replace those stupid mechanisms through the tiny openings in the liftgate.

i had a problem with the yellow clip pulling out of the handle. got a replacement clip from Ford (actually bought a couple of them as they were really inexpensive) installed it, WD40'd all the moving parts, latches and handle pivots, no further problems.

i think what tends to happen is that, with age and dirt, the linkage and latches get dry and hard to open. that puts a lot of stress on the connection between the handle and the yellow clip. once it pulls out it's pretty well shot.

Back