02 Sport Rear tailgate latch/handle cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Rear tailgate latch/handle cover?

C

Chance02

I have an 02 Sport and am having a devil of a time trying to identify parts; even through FordParts.com, using my VIN! 3rd party sites want to sell me SportTrac parts and Ford wants to sell 4 dr parts.

Here's my question and hoping you folks might help: On my tailgate, protecting the tailgate handle, is a (on mine) grey (I've seen them black) plastic piece, maybe about 18" x 3" with a ford emblem. It serves no mechanical purpose. It appears only to protect the tailgate handle.

It is falling apart and it looks awful. But I don't even know what to search for... nothing I refer to it as comes up on many, many search attempts. What is it called? Where can I get a replacement?

BTW, thanks all for this forum. It gives me a lot of confidence to attempt repairs myself. So far it seems that I can do the 'harder' repairs but simple ones stymie me! This is a five-bolt fix but I can't even start without knowing what I am looking for is called!

What is it called? Where do I find one? Are those part search sites (for salvage yards) helpful?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I changed the title a lil' bit and moved the thread over to the correct section for you in hopes that others whom have had this same problem will better see your thread and offer you some answers..

Good Luck with your search...:biggthump

You can use a 98-01 4 door part.

I have 2 spares:D

I have an 02 Sport and am having a devil of a time trying to identify parts; even through FordParts.com, using my VIN! 3rd party sites want to sell me SportTrac parts and Ford wants to sell 4 dr parts.

Here's my question and hoping you folks might help: On my tailgate, protecting the tailgate handle, is a (on mine) grey (I've seen them black) plastic piece, maybe about 18" x 3" with a ford emblem. It serves no mechanical purpose. It appears only to protect the tailgate handle.

It is falling apart and it looks awful. But I don't even know what to search for... nothing I refer to it as comes up on many, many search attempts. What is it called? Where can I get a replacement?

BTW, thanks all for this forum. It gives me a lot of confidence to attempt repairs myself. So far it seems that I can do the 'harder' repairs but simple ones stymie me! This is a five-bolt fix but I can't even start without knowing what I am looking for is called!

What is it called? Where do I find one? Are those part search sites (for salvage yards) helpful?

Thanks!!
Plastic molding for rear lift gate handles of vehicles older than 2002 have to be found normally used. I was unable to find one new or aftermarket.
I had to find one in a salvage yard. It was black but with my vehicle VIN I was able to match the paint color perfect.

Back