'02 sport trac ready lift torsion key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 sport trac ready lift torsion key

SUNNYQNYC

Reaction score
City, State
WOODHAVEN, QUEENS NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 sport trac
i purchased my sports trac back in 08 after driving it around i decided to change the tires. the truck came with 255/70-16 and i change it to a
265/75-16 mickey thompson mtz it was the greatest invesment i ever made, the only problem is that the tires rub when i make sharp turns,

i normal drive the truck 2wd, under snowy conditions it switch to 4 wheel hi
or 4 wheel lo

i was told that by adding a ready lift torsion key it would solve my rubbing problems, does any have any thoughts on this matter.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can only adjust the front torsion bars up about 2". More than that causes the half-shafts/cv joints to be at too great an angle and you start ripping them out. You may can trim the front bumper cover and/or inner fender.

You can turn the torsion bars up 1.5" or so with just the stock bolts in the torsion bar crossmember (and get an alignment after). You do not need to buy new keys.

johnnyo and ncranchero

sorry i could not reply sooner i had internet issues, thanks for the advice,
i live in new york city and at this time with all the snow we have i can't do any work out side, if i were to take my trac to an alignment shop would they be able to adjust the torsion bars.

Yes, if you tell the shop you want the Torsion Bar bolts cranked up to get a 1.75-2" lift theys can do it, it'll probably cost aound $40-60 for doing that depending on the shop. I did the TT,SL and 3" BL to mine without doing an alignment and haven't had any problems in the three years since I did it. Here's a link to check out my '03 ST 4wd XLT.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/memberlib.asp

midnightrebel07

prefect, better than spending $200 for new keys and an extra $100 for the special tools

they still might rub after the TT but I found taking zip ties and strapping the inner fenders back out of the way helped, and I put in 5mm spacers to eliminate sway bar rub

Back