02 Sport Trac stalling upon medium/hard braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Trac stalling upon medium/hard braking

Natskidive

Reaction score
City, State
MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ex Sport Trac
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any assistance.

My 02 Sport Trac has 249,623 miles and I still love it. Recently it began stalling upon coming to a stop if I braked hard. It's gotten worse and I realized I can prevent it by shifting into Neutral prior to stopping, then shifting into Drive before accelerating. If the motor is hot and the engine stalls, I may have to let it cool half an hour prior to getting back on the road as the engine will die as soon as I shift into Drive.

It seems to be worse when the engine is hot as it's not an issue in the morning, as yet. Stop and go traffic is a killer. I was really hoping to get 300K out of it. Local repair shop diagnosed it as a bad Torque Converter after replacing IAC valve and no resolution (at no charge) and recommended and new/used transmission.

Throttle body has been cleaned and codes are current.

Again, your recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check for vacuum leaks. Often a vacuum leak will allow the engine to run fine with no load, but as soon as you drop it into drive it wants to die.

If you spray carburetor cleaner around your vacuum lines, intake manifold, etc, you will be able to hear the engine change speed if the carb cleaner gets sucked through a vacuum leak.

Check the hose going to the power brake booster. I have seen those rot out and I've seen the fitting at the booster go bad as well.

Thanks Rick, I'll check those now.

Sorry, IAC replaced. Upper and lower intake gasket failures at 250K are suspect, although usually happens when cold. :scratch:

Back