• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Trac won't crank

Gwynn

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
Only got 1 key and fob when it was bought 7 months ago. Fob still locks and unlocks the doors but key doesn't start it.You can turn to on/run position but starter doesn't engage. Dash light for security system goes off when you put the key in so I'm lost for solution...SOMEBODY HELP! I gotta get it out of store parking lot before its towed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only got 1 key and fob when it was bought 7 months ago. Fob still locks and unlocks the doors but key doesn't start it.You can turn to on/run position but starter doesn't engage. Dash light for security system goes off when you put the key in so I'm lost for solution...SOMEBODY HELP! I gotta get it out of store parking lot before its towed.
My Sport Trac needs the neutral safety switch adjusted. This sometimes requires me to push the gear selector more firmly into Park, or place into Neutral to get the engine to crank. Just a thought.

My Sport Trac needs the neutral safety switch adjusted. This sometimes requires me to push the gear selector more firmly into Park, or place into Neutral to get the engine to crank. Just a thought.
Tried pulling shifter more firmly in place and tried neutral and still no crank

Well I got a friend to help me get it home from the parking lot. Since I haven't gotten any suggestions that I haven't already tried I'm gonna attempt to wire around the security system as I don't know of anything else that would keep it from cranking.

Bad battery cable
Bad starter

The theft light flashes rapidly when trying to start? I’m not sure if you can wire around the theft module. Without the PATS module reading the key it won’t fire the injectors.

Back