• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

02 Sport Trac XLT Sunroof Only Goes Forward and Backwards a Few Inches

Durvelle27

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey what's up guys, new member here. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT that I have owned about 10 months now. The Sunroof has never worked since I bought it but now I decided that I want to fix it. All fuses are good and all windows function just fine. I pulled the console down and noticed there is no power at the switch and there are some wires cut. I was hoping someone could help me identify the cut wires so I can get this fixed.

Update: I was able to rewire in the new motor and a new pigtail. The motor seems to be fully functioning but once installed the roof only goes forward and backward a few inches. It doesn't fully open

IMG_7125.jpg
IMG_7128.jpg
IMG_7129.jpg
IMG_7126.jpg
IMG_7127.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Durvelle27

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
Can someone with a sunroof just pull down their console so I can see a picture of the wires

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Like like they were cut and taped. You probably have a bigger issue than the wiring.

Durvelle27

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
Like like they were cut and taped. You probably have a bigger issue than the wiring.
It looks like the person cut the Sunroof motor pigtail

If I had a picture of it I can resolder them back in

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
And then you will probably have to fix the original problem.

Durvelle27

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
So i was able to get a pigtail rewired in along with a new motor. Motor is functioning well but now the issue is the Panel only goes back a few inches forward and backward