02 ST 4.0 sohc with terrible rattle!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 ST 4.0 sohc with terrible rattle!!!!!

JKELLYN13

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac XLT
Ok so I changed the rear timing chain tensioner today because I believed it to be part of the rattle issue. It was not as bad as expected but a noticable difference than the new replacement. Pryor to replacing it was only rattling at 2300-2800 RPM at first and was not very noticable after my oil change but was there. I was trying to prolongue the life of the engine and chain by changing that tensioner. I had to use a coworkers impact on it because it was so tight going in and i verified twice that I was not crossthreading. Once I got it flush and sealed I started the engine. I knew with would rattle badly while the new tensioner built up pressure, however I have let it run on 4 different occasions now since changing it for about 10 minutes each time to allow for some oil pressure build up. So far the rattle is still 10 times worse than before and while sitting at idle it sounds like a diesal. What may be causing the sound still? is the tensioner still not primed up or could I have cause much more harm than good? Also what are the suggestions about driving it home when I live roughly about an hour from where I work and it's some stop and go but mostly highway and backroads?

See the answer to your other thread, but the timing guides are gone and the engine needs to come out now. Don't even start it again, and certainly don't drive it. It will be a lot more expensive once you smash the valves. I tried to drive mine very gently in that condition and it didn't make it more than a mile before the engine was trash.

Back