'02 V6 Explorer with Many Electrical Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 V6 Explorer with Many Electrical Problems

Did you happen to mention where the CSM is located on the vehicle? I have an '02 XLT with a bad CSM (so says the dealer). I don't want to give those greedy SOBs any money if I can help it. Was it difficult to pull?

The CSM for the '02 V6 XLT is located below the right, rear door post. Think of it this way (assuming you do not have the optional third row rear seat). If you are sitting in the rear passenger seat on the right side, the CSM is located at around the same level as your elbow, back behind the interior panel where the seat belt disappears.

Was it difficult to pull? Hmmm, I guess the most most difficult part was pulling off all the interior panels to get at it. Once you expose the CSM, it simply slides out of the bracket that it is clipped to. It was a little bit of a pain getting the three plugs unclipped and removed. I was hacking at the CSM for a while so to make things easier, I removed the lower, bottom seat belt bolt so I could completely remove the large interior panel that covers the rear wheel well. That one large panel is tucked under a couple of door sills and some smaller panels. I recommend removing all those sills and smaller panels. Do not try to pry the larger panel out from under the sills or smaller panels. You'll break something that way.

well i got a used csm for my truck, hooked it up, and the factory code for that module does not work. i got this csm because my original factory code stopped working on my original csm. any ideas?

Back