02 XLS clicking noise from front wheel(s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 XLS clicking noise from front wheel(s)

PapaSquat_73

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hey all,

Almost a year ago my wife and I got an 02 Explorer, and with the exception of the 'door ajar' light which I fixed, we have had pretty much no problems...until a few weeks ago. While driving in my neighborhood, I heard what sounded like a clicking noise coming from somewhere that I narrowed down to the front (passenger side wheel I believe). It would only do it at slow speeds, but has since progressed to doing it almost from an immediate start, to highway speeds. The only way to describe the sound is like a leaf, or a twig hitting against fan blades.

I've also been hearing a slight grinding noise, almost like a trilpe ba-da-bump sound (but a grind) at slow speeds as well. My BIGGEST fear is since we don't know the maintenance history of the Ex, are the bearings going, or is it something more? She has 155,x.. on her as of now.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is most likely the bearings. If not that, then the CV joint. This is 4 wheel drive correct? If so, then check both of those things. Jack the front up and grab the tire and shake it from the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. If there is a lot of movement, then the bearings are toast. On the positive side, the front bearings are very doable as far as the garage mechanic goes. Mine went out around 120,000. I just finished replacing both of the rear bearings as I type. Now those babies were a PITA!!!!!
Also check the upper ball joint. Those go bad too and allow the tire to jiggle. Mine had to be replaced in order to pass inspection last year.

Yes newtek, it is 4wd. Thankfully I'm not going anywhere for a few days, so tomorrow I'll go out and give that a try. In prep that it 'was', or 'is', the bearings, I did a little searching and found sets that come with the wheel hub. Will I need those too?

These bearings don't always have play when bad, so, just because the wheel won't move doesn't mean it's not the bearing.
Others have said the noise is on the opposite side of a bad bearing. I'd suggest replacing both sides at the same time. At least you'll know your taking care of the bad one that way.

There are inexpensive ones available, if money isn't an issue though, get a premium bearing and pay for it. In auto parts, discounted parts aren't deals, they are simply lower quality.

If you spin the hub by hand after removing the rotor and caliper you will feel the roughness in the bearing if it is bad. I replaced mine at about 80,000 miles. If you have no history on the vehicle check both sides this way as well as checking for torn or cracked cv joint boots. When I did mine last year I went over the entire front end changing anything showing any wear since I had it apart.

I had the same sound... And it was the bearing. I had change the 2 front bearing my self, it's tough to pop them out... For the rear bearing... I had to go to the garage...

To make it more easy to pull out the front bearing, I suggest that you heat the bearings. The little propane burner do not heat enough, you must use a burner with oxygen ... To heat enough the thing... Use a puller and it's should be easy to pull them out...

Hope this will help !

Thank you everyone for the input! Wasn't able to check the front wheel due to rain, but I definitely need to this weekend. Again, thank you, and I'll keep y'all posted!

Back