'02 XLT and shop manual

galbre

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
Hello all,
I am the proud new owner of a 2002 XLT V8!

Can anybody recommend a good shop manual? I used to have a Jetta and the Bentley shop manual for that car was excellent, unfortunately they dont make manuals for Fords. I see the Haynes manual but not sure if that is a good one or if that is my only choice. Does Ford sell one? Is it any good?

Thanks in advance.
Gregg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haynes manuals seem to be the fav on this site. Welcome!

Welcome to Explorer Forum! Haynes manuals are pretty good. Most of the stuff you encounter will have been discussed on this forum, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Happy posting!

Thanks guys for all the tips. I am enjoying my Explorer and all the space it has. Haven't filled it up yet though :)

Does Ford recommend changing the transmission fluid and if so, when?
When should you change the accessory belt? Thanks!

How many miles do you have on it? Change the fluid if you have about 30k miles. Ford recommends 100k on the 5R55W, but don't wait that long. Do you have this transmission, or the 4R70W? The 5R55W has no dipstick, and is a 5 speed. The 4R70W is a 4 speed. Both are automatics.

I have 45000 miles. I have the 5 speed auto, no dipstick that I can see. I dont think the previous owner changed it. So it sounds like I am due to change it. How about the accessory belt? Thanks!

Check the belt for signs of cracks. Does it make any strange noises, or feel loose? There is a sticky thread in the transmission section which explains how to check, and refill the fluid on the 5R55W transmission. Here is the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

I'll take a look at the belt. I just thought there might be a recommended change interval on that belt. I figured its under $50 and rather then get stuck I would change it on the interval.

It's a good idea to replace the belt along with radiator hoses if they are starting to get dried out. Some people like to keep spare parts like these in their emergency box just in case they get stuck.

Back