• Register Today It's free!

02 XLT Bearing noise?

Shafner79

Reaction score
City, State
Etters, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an 02 Explorer XLT with around 85k miles. Just recently I started to notice what I thought was a bad front wheel bearing. Annoying hummimg noise while driving and it goes away when you turn the wheel right.

I thought it was coming from the front, but after changing both front hubs this week, I still have the noise. I'm guessing it's the rear wheel bearings?? Never really heard of rears going bad this early, until I started reading on this forum.

I had a friend tell me that it might be the front carrier assembly making noise? The sound definately goes away when turning to the right.

Any suggestions?

I have attached pics of the old hubs.....which looked terrible to me. Very surprised they weren't the culprit.

Thanks,
Matt

One suggestion. If you think it is a rear bearing have someone drive your truck and you sit in the back. If you have the 3rd row sit in it. But basically, just sit and listen. I determined mine were bad using this method (plus mine were so bad I was getting a wobble in the rear). My driver's side was very obvious, but I was also hearing nose on passenger side when I leaned my head that direction. If the noise is in the middle only it may be the rear differential issue that these trucks are also known for...

Back