• Register Today It's free!

02 XLT Overhead Console Question

OTB

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have an 02 XLT 4x4. It doesn't have a sun roof or external a/C. I currently have the stock overhead console that just has the sunglass holder, garage door holder, and light.

I remember reading that if you can find an overhead console that has the homelink in it, that it is an easy swap since the wiring is already in there.

I did find an overhead console for an 02 mountaineer/explorer that has the homelink in it, in the correct color, but it also has the heat/ac control knobs. can just the door with the homelink button be used?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you find out let me know as I want to do the same. But i have the sunroof.

Here is a thread I posted with step by step instructions and pictures.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219736&highlight=homelink

I dont think the homelink panel will fit into the place of the heater controls, but you'd need close comparison to be sure. You might be lucky enough.

I was able to find the match to my console exactly and just switched out the moonroof switch for a moonroof/homelink panel.

Thanks for the info. For clarification, my current overhead console does not have the heater controls, but the one I found that has homelink does have the heater controls.

My question is, can I just remove the panel I currently have which is just an empy pocket with velcro for garage opener, and replace/wire in the panel from the new console that includes the buttons for homelink.

Thanks for the info. For clarification, my current overhead console does not have the heater controls, but the one I found that has homelink does have the heater controls.

My question is, can I just remove the panel I currently have which is just an empy pocket with velcro for garage opener, and replace/wire in the panel from the new console that includes the buttons for homelink.

If the panel in the console you're looking at will physically fit into your empty pocket place I see no problem. you may get lucky enough that its a simple swap.

Back