03 4.0 60mph Ac on and windows up? Ac off windows down? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 4.0 60mph Ac on and windows up? Ac off windows down?

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
I'm planning a big trip out to PA this week and was just curious if anyone knew what kind of gas mileage difference I can expect with the windows down and ac off vs the windows up ac on? I know this may seem like a stupid question but my old pontiac grand prix I had got 33 mpg at 70mph with the windows up vs 23 with them down and ac off because the drag was so much less with windows up. Any opinions or even facts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is only going to be about a 2-3 mile per gallon difference, but the weird thing is that you get worse gas mileage with the windows down. The reason that this happens is because of the drag of the air coming in the vehicle.

That's what happened with my old car. I was just curios to know if the drag of the ac on my engine vs the drag of wind on my engine was really that much different.

The difference will be so minute that you need to focus on something else.

There is only going to be about a 2-3 mile per gallon difference, but the weird thing is that you get worse gas mileage with the windows down. The reason that this happens is because of the drag of the air coming in the vehicle.

Correct! I have heard about this as well. You get better gas mileage with the windows up and AC on VS down with the AC off.

How about this-drive there with all the windows down, AC off and then back with them up and AC blasting. Report your findings;)

The windows up+A/C advantage is only present at highway or interstate speeds. Otherwise, windows down. How about following the previous comment and posting some solid results for us all. ?

Back