'03 Door Lock Switch/Wiring Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'03 Door Lock Switch/Wiring Question

jimEMT

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone,
I posted this in another thread but had no replies....I have an '03 XLT and suddenly the driver's side door unlock switch stopped working. It won't unlock any doors, but it will lock without an issue. Keyfob works, driver's door unlocks fine with the fob or with any other switch. I am ruling out the actuator since the locks do work with all the other switches....replaced the drivers side door switch and no success - the harness at the plug looked fine. Is the only option to take off the shell and start fishing around in the door for a broken wire? Any advice on a schematic or what to look for? It's been annoying!!

Thanks....

Annoying?

Hi everyone,
I posted this in another thread but had no replies.... Any advice on a schematic or what to look for? It's been annoying!!
Thanks....

Hi! Maybe these schematics will help you. If you meant annoying related to lack of response, I been there!! Ha, Ha! No offense intended to all the great knowledge & info available here!

These are from '04 Shop Manual; 1st. is switches, 2nd. actuators. Should be same scheme in '03, 'ceptin' maybe for wire #s or colors, but proly not! A Ford Shop Manual is a MUST!! Let us know how you make out! imp

img06910.jpg

img07010.jpg

check the harness that goes threw the door to the body wire brakes are common on this truck to check push the boot into the body then pull it out of the door side you will see two rubber straps attached to the harness yo must cut these or untape them from the harness to access broken wire or wires there is normally more than one and repair harness as required hope this helps

I agree with mr2fix2it.

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, it's for the '02 but should work for the '03, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Back