'03 Escape 6Cyl - Clogged Cat - Want to have removed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'03 Escape 6Cyl - Clogged Cat - Want to have removed.

rtruxdope98

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I have an '03 Escape, my check engine light came on, so when I had it scanned, it's saying I have a clogged catalytic converter. It feels pretty hot on my passenger side when I'm standing outside the vehicle when it's idling, I've felt a loss of power here and there when driving it. Not all the time, it seemed random.

I'm hoping u guys can give me an idea of what my options are with this. Apparently, this car has 3 of them, and since I live KY, and do not plan to sell this car (I'll be driving til wheel falls off!) I wanted to see about just having the cats removed all together. What are the considerations of doing this on this vehicle?

Also, is there any relatively easy way to clean them? Or is there anything I can do that would maybe buy me a little more time to get the funds to pay for whatever I decide to do? I'm really leaning towards removal here. I just don't see why I should pay so much to replace parts of a vehicle if it's not an ABSOLUTE MUST. Just need some guidance on a plan of action.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running without cats is completely illegal on a federal level in all states, and the discussion of it is against the rules of this board.

Replace your cats. It will run like garbage without them.

One of your front cats broke up and clogged the secondary cat. I just had an 05 escape in the shop where the rear manifold cat decided to go and completely stopped up the secondary cat after the Y pipe to where the truck would barely move.

You have to put a cat on each bank of the engine. I'd think you can omit the secondary one if you replace both front ones. The secondary cat looks a decent size but the media in it is VERY short (only about 3"). The truck will not run right without the front cats on the engine working correctly.

My DD is an 01 and as boomin said more than likely one of the front cats has broken up and clogged the rear one. Same thing happened to me. You can eliminate the rear cat but it creates a terribly loud drone in the car.

Same happened on my Escape after a coil went bad. Replaced them with Pacesetters.

It will run like crap and get ****ty mileage without the cats because it will go to the fixed fuel map instead of getting live readings from the O2 sensors after the rear sensors get an incorrect reading from behind the cats. Theoretically one could trick out the rear sensors but that would be heresy.

Thanks for all the input.. I went ahead and replaced the front exhaust manifold ($250 part only), and then got a Ford replacement muffler/tailpipe, to replace the one that my "mechanic" cut off. My truck obviously drives 100% better, but my gas mileage has went to ****! Why is this? Oh, and I no longer have a check engine light either. I don't believe I've driven enough for my trucks computer to recalibrate itself or whatever u call it, but even so, the gas mileage should not be this bad right?

Just as a little bit of background, I bought this truck off of someone and had no one that could look at it for me before I bought it. So far, I've replaced the alternator, ball joint on passenger side, had the cross brace for the lower control arm installed (Ford Recall), and most recently the front exhaust manifold, muffler/tailpipe.

I was thinking that I should do the basic tuneup type stuff next, spark plugs, filter, etc. Shouldn't this help my gas mileage? Or is it pretty much gonna be screwed until I replace the rear exhaust manifold/2nd cat?

Also, thanks to everyone for helping me, since I'm sure it's quite obvious I have no clue whatsoever about any of this stuff. All of the input really helps me when I'm trying to find someone to do work on my truck. So I appreciate it!

Are you currently missing any cats?

I'd start with the plugs (motorcraft) and replace the rear 3 coils under the manifold (easy to do now). Also check all rubber hoses on intake manifold for dry rot. The elbow on the back and the evap valve vac supply hose are the main areas to check.

Great point on the rear evap elbow, that caused me some grief on mine.

Back