03 Explorer 2 valve to 06 Mustang gt 3 valve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer 2 valve to 06 Mustang gt 3 valve

Rwilson972001

Reaction score
City, State
Peabody MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 EXPLORER XLT AWD
Hey guys,
Was wondering if anyone has experience doing a swap like this? I was thinking that this will give me a little more power (I know I will probably loose some torque) but I do mostly city and highway driving no off road. Just wanted to know if this is a fairly straightforward swap? I am concerned that my truck is AWD will this be an issue?
Thanks
20180603_183323.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be nearly plug and play. You'll have to lock out the phasers and tune it for the bigger throttle body on the 3v. Use the explorer harness and computer to run it to make things easier. The 3v mustang also has the aluminum block so it should bolt right in. I can't remember if they are 6 or 8 bolt cranks though, might be the only little snag.

The 3v makes way more power than the 2v but doesn't have the top end reliability of the 2v. The cam followers dont last much more than 100k.

Plus the 06-10 explorers had basically the same 4.6 3v as a mustang. You could use the wiring and pcm from one of those, but you would have to swap to the 6 speed trans also, which is better anyway. I am not a fan of any of the 3 valve engines, but good luck with your swap. As far as putting in the engine, all the mounting holes on the block should be the same as your current 4.6.

Just to add the mustang 3v is aluminum block, the 06+ 3v is an iron block. Just in case someone else wants to go down this road.

Going to the 6r trans would be an upgrade too but at that point you might as well grab the frame to upgrade to rear trailing arms too. Or just buy an 06+ explorer, that would be easier.

I wonder if locking out the VVT takes away any of the motor’s power? If so, what’s the point of the swap unless it’s for a lower mileage motor?

I like the idea of a donor 4th Gen, you’ll get everything you need to make the swap pretty much seamless.

I wonder if locking out the VVT takes away any of the motor’s power? If so, what’s the point of the swap unless it’s for a lower mileage motor?

I like the idea of a donor 4th Gen, you’ll get everything you need to make the swap pretty much seamless.

The phasers are only used at higher RPM. Deleting them on a 4.6/5.4 truck results in loosing 10-15hp at the top end but increased reliability. The 2v computer can't control them anyway. The 3v has a much better flowing head with scary sized intake ports and intake manifold openings (TB is 10mm larger stock for stock). I think it makes a solid 40-50hp over the 2v in stock form.

The phasers are only used at higher RPM. Deleting them on a 4.6/5.4 truck results in loosing 10-15hp at the top end but increased reliability. The 2v computer can't control them anyway. The 3v has a much better flowing head with scary sized intake ports and intake manifold openings (TB is 10mm larger stock for stock). I think it makes a solid 40-50hp over the 2v in stock form.
Sounds like a worthwhile swap then, VVT or not.

Sounds like a worthwhile swap then, VVT or not.

Only if you want to pull cams and swap followers every 100k miles. The top end is weak.

Will this cause any problems with the AWD??

Will this cause any problems with the AWD??

As long as you keep your current transmission and computer it shouldn't change a thing.

Not to be an ass but if you have to ask that question are you sure you could handle an engine swap that none of us on here have done before? It might be best to keep it simple and stay 2v.

As long as you keep your current transmission and computer it shouldn't change a thing.

Not to be an ass but if you have to ask that question are you sure you could handle an engine swap that none of us on here have done before? It might be best to keep it simple and stay 2v.
I just came across a really good deal on the engine and it has much lower milage than mine. Not to mention it has a little more power that I feel mine is lacking. My engine has always run a little rough shaking the truck when you are stopped. I did an entire tune up and then brought it to my mechanic and neither of us could find out the cause. I have owned the Explorer for 5 or 6 years now. I like it I just want it to run smooth with more power.

Lower mileage isn't always golden on a 3v. I just had to put a cam and two phasers in a 2010 f150 4.6 3v with exactly 100k miles on it. It started shaking and idling low with knocking on the top end. 1 phaser was trash, removed the other to inspect and found it to be cracked also. These are supposed the "updated ones". I also work on a fleet of 50 work vans and haven't replaced a single 4.6 yet but do a few 5.4s each year. A few 4.6s have almost 300k on them with not even touching the timing chains.

Side note you could still get that engine, sell the 3v heads off the top to pay for your 2v heads to get rebuilt and put the 2v heads on the 3v block. The 3v has dished pistons so compression ratio needs to be researched if you go this option.

20180422_193713.jpg
I have an 06 gt with the 3 valve which I did cams on so I have the stock cams that only have 30k miles on them. I think I can use those if I run into that issue. I don't know just tossing the idea around

I'm not trying to push you from doing the swap, just want to let you know the grass isn't always greener.

Another thing I didn't think of is the cam gear trigger. It's another thing you'll have to figure out trying to use the 04 computer with 3v long block. Maybe mod the cam to use 3v v10 cam gear?

Thats a good idea. I wasn't sure if I could use my existing computer or would that be another thing to worry about. Well like I said I'm kicking the idea around. Even if I get enough info this may happen a little bit later. I was previously wanting a 5.0 for my mustang. That may very well happen. My car has just under 50k miles so it would be a great candidate for the swap. I know my engine and how it was maintained. So thanks for all the ideas and info I will put it all to good use.

Back