03 Explorer 4.0L - Engine noise from intake manifold. Slapping? Ticking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer 4.0L - Engine noise from intake manifold. Slapping? Ticking?

cmj2384

Reaction score
City, State
OPTIONAL BUT REQUIRED?!
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer 4.0l
Unrelated issue to my other post. The engine issue I have been trying to debug is a noise coming from the intake manifold, it seems.

Sounds like a lifter or valve slapping but I'm sure thats not the issue. Truck makes the noise whenever it chooses to make it. Doesnt happen consistently all the time. I have seen some videos and some may say timing issue?

Has anyone had this problem or similar before and could guide me in the right direction to start properly troubleshooting this issue? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post up one of your videos. The audio would probably help.

Will do. I was about to make one and actually post it, but it went away again and I'll make a video asap when it makes the noise again.

I have a similar sound which I thought was the lifters. Mine does it all the time I can post a video

Coming and going is usually hydraulic lifters inconsistently building up pressure.

If you're going to bother replacing them I'd replace the rocker arms and valve springs while you're at it.

Here’s what mine sounds like

Back