03 explorer 4.6l tranny problem??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer 4.6l tranny problem???

sharpie8or88@yah

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I have a 203 Explorer 4.6l....had a transmission problem when purchased...failed obdII inspection...pressure control solenoid "C" ...removed trans...had rebuilt..new OD band and hub...all clutch packs ,OD accumulator ,piston& seal ...reinstalled...same code...replaced valve body, used...same code...checked all solenoids on original valve body...all functioned when 12 v was applied?????Anybody know wtf is going on??? thanks John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Welcome here..:D

..I'm moving your thread over to a sub forum where others may see it and will be able to help you out ..;)

I have a 203 Explorer 4.6l....had a transmission problem when purchased...failed obdII inspection...pressure control solenoid "C" ...removed trans...had rebuilt..new OD band and hub...all clutch packs ,OD accumulator ,piston& seal ...reinstalled...same code...replaced valve body, used...same code...checked all solenoids on original valve body...all functioned when 12 v was applied?????Anybody know wtf is going on??? thanks John

2003 Explorer 4.6 should be the 5R55S/W transmission.

You failed inspection because of a solenoid code and rebuilt the transmission. The parts that you replaced were they bad? Those parts were causing the solenoid code?

On a 5R55S or W tranny the solenoids are separate from the valve body, you said you replaced the valve body, what about the solenoid block where the solenoids are located, did that get replaced?

If so check for wiring or connection problems external of the transmission.

Internal wiring.

Yes, the parts replaced were worn, probribly due to the bad solenoid....all of the solenoids are in one pack ,bolted to the bottom of the trans ??? I had considered replacing the PCM, but since the truck has keyless entry not only would I have to flash the PCM, I would also have to have a locksmith reprogram the keyless??? I think I'll take it to a shop and have it backpinned to check the wiring and signal.

Not understanding all of this. 5R55W or 5R55S trans? Failed OBD-II because of flashing O/D OFF light? What was the problem when purchased?

What are shift symptoms? Solenoid C when energized puts the trans. in 4th. gear. What exactly is the "code" being shown?

Can't tell wtf is going on without more info. imp

The OD would auto turn off, and difficult to shift into 2nd and OD....OBD code ;P0775 Pressure Control Solenoid B....like I said, I replaced the piston, drum, band, and master rebuild kit ,all new, and the valve body and solenoid pack used, and still have the same problem. All of the new parts were worn badly. ????????????????????????????

The OD would auto turn off, and difficult to shift into 2nd and OD....OBD code ;P0775 Pressure Control Solenoid B....like I said, I replaced the piston, drum, band, and master rebuild kit ,all new, and the valve body and solenoid pack used, and still have the same problem. All of the new parts were worn badly. ????????????????????????????

Sorry for the delay; sorry I'm no help. Maybe JK might have some ideas? imp

A random crap to throw out there...TPS maybe? Or would the tranny not shoot a code for that...

Back