• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer v8 Knocking?

PaybackTony

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6L
I've searched up and down these forums for a couple days and have found a couple posts that might be helpful but don't seem to describe exactly what I'm experiencing. I've got a 03 Explorer with the v8. I recently changed the oil and even more recently swapped the water pump (just before a 150 or so mile round trip to the beach last weekend). A couple days ago my wife moved the explorer from one part of the driveway to the other and it started making a knocking heavy "clicking" sound.

From my first bit of research on this board I figured it was one of two things, either something along the lines of the timing chain tensioner going out or something wrong with the torque converter. The sound seems louder under the car and almost sounds like it's coming from the housing as shown at the very end of the video.

I'm a programmer not a mechanic but any help in identifying what could be causing the sound would be greatly appreciated.

Commented on YT as well don't know how often you check it here is what I said: It sounds more like a rattle than a knock to me, I would check all your exhaust system to make sure a hanger did not come loose. Have you noticed any performance issues with it?

Back