03 fliptrac $700 daily driver (summer of fun with 4 sport tracs) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 fliptrac $700 daily driver (summer of fun with 4 sport tracs)

I have a really rare opportunity here I have a set of obx/maximizer on this engine and I have a set it tmh brand new in the box in the shop so I’m planning to get some side by side comparison pics

@sandsprayer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

D3CEFA2C-D8AE-46F4-8891-C59B046DB947.jpeg

Water pump w no snout, was running e fans

77D2CB21-B95F-49CD-AF0B-9AE6CE0C49AB.jpeg

Thermo housing tapped for fan controller sensor

B8E31A1D-218F-4099-83EE-1DE9480B7CD0.jpeg

And it’s out

Clutch is fried
4406 leaky
5 speed leaky
302 leaky
85268E83-2F73-4A15-870C-C7FB18F84809.jpeg

D849E593-7358-4EAA-910E-267A4E0C418A.jpeg

24DE1183-A53C-45A7-B5E6-B3DD80C52F6C.jpeg

3658EB68-D902-4B8C-ACA6-1E28BA104424.jpeg

Ordering gasket kit waterpump and clutch

Black trac is outside

385A7092-4384-46AA-9B67-246678786A5A.jpeg

Brought in the 01 w the 05 sohc after some serious wiring changes (lots of research just a few Minutes of actual wiring) I have a starter and a fuel pump. Fuel pump sounds weak and gas is from 2018…. But truck fired w ether!
So I disabled the stupid drl by pulling a fuse and now I’m about to do a fuel pump and filter
Once I get this truck sorted I can get back to building the 03 v8

soooo I have the 01 trac with the 05 engine in the shop
I dropped the tank
Truck been sitting since 2018
Fuel tank varnish (old fuel) is a real thing
Completely destroyed the in tank pump, mount, strainer and rubber lines

4557C686-266D-41A3-B501-BC32C0FDE7B3.jpeg

Nasty!

I am glad the pump never ran because it could have pushed some of this crap into the lines/new filter/ fuel rail.
The 01 also has a metal tank

I will be cleaning the tank
Adding new pump strainer and rubber lines
Then fresh fuel
Fingers crossed

If you want that gas tank to last a long time red kote the inside. I did that with the gas tank in my XR4TI

Oh sure rub it in that you have a xr4ti sheesh

We are not worthy

I’m thinking of using the tank and sender from the black trac instead it ran 6 months ago this white one has not run since 2018 and sat outside for like 3 years. She’s coming together now!

I’ve seen that red kote stuff at the store! So it works good on metal tanks eh?

Oh sure rub it in that you have a xr4ti sheesh

We are not worthy

I’m thinking of using the tank and sender from the black trac instead it ran 6 months ago this white one has not run since 2018 and sat outside for like 3 years. She’s coming together now!

I’ve seen that red kote stuff at the store! So it works good on metal tanks eh?
It's not in pristine shape. I saved it from the crusher. It needed a gas tank. The only gas tank I could find within 500 miles of Phoenix was at a salvage yard outside Farmington, NM. It had some minor issues I did a DIY patch then used red kote to seal the inside. Stuff works great and the tank will never rust from the inside. 410, if you get that 400M to fit in a Ranger none of us are worthy.

I can barely Make it fit in my crowded shop! Lol lol was going to turn it into a coffee table

I can barely Make it fit in my crowded shop! Lol lol was going to turn it into a coffee table
With a picture of a boat anchor on it?

I missed it if you said you have a Ford 400 engine. I have pieces to build one from an old 69 Mustang project that didn't really begin, the block has screw in freeze plugs for example.

I love the projects, and making good use of the big garage space. Keep up with the news, pics etc, I like them for motivation and ideas. Old parts are getting hard to find for these trucks now, and I need to save a couple of my gas tanks(you remind me Josh). I still have my old 93 tank that I was going to cut the top out to bolt on the top of a 99 tank. That would be a shorter 22 gallon tank plastic, and take the 2nd gen fuel pump assembly. I don't really need it if I stick with AWD(I don't want to run the 4406 and have to launch in 4WD).

Black trac is outside

View attachment 442533
Brought in the 01 w the 05 sohc after some serious wiring changes (lots of research just a few Minutes of actual wiring) I have a starter and a fuel pump. Fuel pump sounds weak and gas is from 2018…. But truck fired w ether!
So I disabled the stupid drl by pulling a fuse and now I’m about to do a fuel pump and filter
Once I get this truck sorted I can get back to building the 03 v8
More trucks= less mowing. Smart, very smart

I will get pics of
My 400 engine I think it’s a 400cc truck engine not the 351 based 400m but I want to make sure before I scrap it or coffee table it.
400 came out of a 76 f250 but not sure if it’s the oem engine

Reading says the 400 truck engine not worth building
People love the 400m however

Back to sport tracs! Yesterday was a good day. Started off with me at the junk yard at 7am (40 mile drive) I pulled keys pcm and pats module from a 98 sport sohc. Ran home, installed parts, truck was running by 9am. This is the 01 trac with 05 sohc and 07 trans…. The one with the varnished fuel tank.
Two days ago i installed new Delphi fuel pump and strainer with new hoses. Made in USA, $104 in town.
682F2BF6-A6E7-48E6-BF22-90409E3B4003.jpeg

Third Delphi pump I’ve done this
Month, things happen in 3s w these trucks?
Bosch pumps Mia, so I have been using these

556DEB96-C4B4-470C-9DE0-B9A82061740C.jpeg

Truck fired instantly!! However no oil pressure gauge hahaha turns out I had to move oil pressure wire from pin 6 to pin 8 on the c139 connector. Again this is early production trac vs late production trac wiring changes
Engine is from 05 gen iii, wiring and accessories from 03, truck is 01

I finalized the under hood wiring (alternator wires moved) and buttoned up the engine bay. Added lubeguard red and Mercon v to trans.. then drove into shop under own power. Plates say this thing last on road in 2014 ouch! Only 139k miles on odo. Tons of new parts (back in 2008!, papers in glove box) new ball joints sway bar links shocks and brakes plus alignment.
Spent the day getting it 100%. Replaced overhead console w one that works. Removed the “bag” center console and installed gen ii graphite full console. The oem bag console is missing the bag and the armrest does not fold. Previous owner repair. I kept bag console and tweed floor Matts for my own collection. This truck is sold as soon as it’s done (friend)
We have a little paint to do (bed repair fiberglass was cracked) otherwise with a full detail she is ready to go. Testing shows Everything works, all lights, windows, power locks, gauges all of it stellar truck!!! Engine runs perfectly (05 124k) so far trans is good to go (2007 w 119k)
I will drive it today, brakes rouge pretty good (will take it easy) all fluids were replaced all filters too… few weeks ago when it was first built and on the rack. 4.10 limited slip truck with drums in back. Will make a really nice truck for our buddy. Even the 6 disc pioneer head unit works awesome (no factory sub)
So call this one done, I’m taking to to buddy’s house for paint and detail ( we have 3 shops we work out of)

Overhead console and center console in
AC4533DB-327C-4F13-ACAE-0A773D22E5E5.jpeg

43CEB260-0F3D-40AA-966A-B46E1C92D35B.jpeg

Planning to return to junk yard tomorrow and get the door locks from key donor. I need a few other things as well and the junk yard owners are our pals, we get special treatment!

Next I helped my stepson install the v8 into his wife’s new 05 sport trac and we sorted out how to handle the superlift bracket install
BD08D9E8-B3AD-4F43-92F3-A9EC748B1574.jpeg

Here he is buttoning up his low mile 302’ready to drop in. You can see the 400 engine in background under the blue air hose. Also almost pictured is my 306 engine with 18000 miles on it and comp cam xr cam and valve-train (on stand under plastic).

His blue 05’ready for the 302
BAF4F7DF-D69F-4B4A-9C71-F143B38B83AA.jpeg

37515814-D7CF-477D-90C4-3FC79D107133.jpeg

He changed out drivers motor mount in favor of a v8 mount and the. We dropped her in

Now the superlift
Here is the funky late sport trac front diff with long arm bracket
B5737DE0-5981-4152-BA85-797FAC7AA9AE.jpeg

03+ sport trac Long arm pictured next to superlift bracket
F146171F-94A9-4549-9E42-BB8EE97CC60F.jpeg

Wth ford? Sheesh

Lucky for us my 01 black trac that’s going to crusher has the old style diff mount. We will simply cut this tab off frame and weld it in proper spot on 05 frame allowing the superlift bracket to bolt in
A26EAAB7-2741-43BB-BDC4-FA18F773C9E6.jpeg

C51C8DC8-062B-4347-A249-89F45694A93B.jpeg

We have had two days of rain
Good day to push this sucker back into shop and finish dismantle I’m after the body lift and final exhaust bits as well as the diffs, shocks, bed, headliner, and front glass (tinted) then off to crusher

We have a momma moose and baby moose running around back here little one was days old when we first saw her. The bull trout are spawning and the eagles are down at river feeding

Life is good
I am way behind on my mowing

As soon as black truck is out of shop our $700 03 comes in for:

New body mounts (poly)
2” body lift
306 cam and headers
M5od-r2 with new luk clutch and hydraulics
4406m
Superlift

I’m very excited

This morning I’m headed to town to help my dad with some elevator stuff then headed to in town shop to mount up new 35” toyos on new 17x9 ballistic wheels… these are for the 07 ranger project final parts starting to arrive!!

Start a thread for the 400M engine. Does it have the 460 bellhousing pattern or is it the rare one with the sbf pattern? An easy way to determine the displacement is measure the stroke using a rod down the spark plug hole.

it was mated to a c6 I believe its the big truck engine
Will do

Don't forget to spend some time outside. If I had a river on my property, I would spend at least two hours a day fishing. Start the day with my morning coffee and a couple casts.

Agreeeeeeed 10000000%
Working towards it!
Once these three trucks are for sale (2 are sold) then I get my summer

My summer includes: atv with kids on our own trails, spend time in river w kayak and fishing poles, take boat out w dad and kids (4th of July every year and every other chance)

But since we are off grid homestead it also includes
Fixing bridge, rotten rail road ties, so we can get propane deliveries and I can run rock for the road (I have 14k dump trailer. I also need to hang solar panels (bought them last year only half are up), build new deck (bought
Lumber last year) and add siding to the new addition on our house (addition. Built two years ago)

The money from these trucks is needed to do so, with fuel being 4.20 a gallon things are tight!

FYI the bull trout are protected species, if it’s black throw it back.

I agree with you! River property was the end game. Been through a lot last couple of years
One stepson has cancer and moved out/ got a divorce and my grand daughter and her
Mom moved back to Colorado. My son switched from private school to public school mid year and with some major effort he graduated 8th grade… other stepson and his wife and my grandson moved in
Bronco needs work, van is broken, my f350 is limping along and excursion has no ac… wife’s FJ needs some big $$$$ parts.
I still do elevators and now trucks full time….

We are getting there!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes but expect to:
Live in tents or yurt until cabins are built
Turn a lot of wrenches
Deal with mosquitos
Go Snowmobiling often and lots and lots of plowing in winter

Back