03 just died - very weird | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 just died - very weird

lusso64

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
After swapping engines on this truck twice, we got it running. It was running well for abut 3 weeks, then just died while driving along happily at 35mph.

Since then it will only start very occassionally, and when it does, it runs very badly. It dies if you open the throttle. It won't restart once the engine is the slightest bit warm, and there is the smell of gas in the engine bay. It also sputters to life for about 2 seconds when cranked at WOT. Maybe gets to 2K then dies. Again, strong smell of gas from the engine bay.

There are no obvious fuel leaks. I've replaced the CPS, Cam PS, coil pack. I've verified consistent spark, even when just cranking through use of an inductive timing light. Spark appears regular etc.

I am kind of at a loss as to where to look next. The engine cranks as though it has good compression. There was one code in the ECU - forget the number but it was reduced efficiency of one cat.

Some background... the original engine was badly overheated and the head warped. It was such a mess that a used engine purchased and installed. That engine was a dog and never really ran at all. Another was provided by the vendor of the first and it was put in and ran perfectly for about 3 weeks. Now here we are... I have 2 used, non working engines on the garage floor - a ready source of sensors and so forth.

BTW - 03 Explorer 4.0V6

Any help and advice gratefully accepted :)

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a bad computer. same thing happened to my buddy with his cherokee

unhook the battery cables for about 15 mins and see it it resets it. something is telling your car to run way too rich most likely... could be wrong tho. just try the battery thing and see if it fixes it.

No Joy...

I tried disconnecting the battery and still no joy. Anyone know what could cause it to run very very rich? Although I haven't checked it, I don't think excessive fuel pressure could cause this as there are plenty of accounts on this board where people have had the fuel pressure run way too high and all they notice is poor fuel consumption.

I am wondering if the MAS or air temp sensor could cause this? Does anyone have any static values for resitance or voltage output I can check for?

TIA, Dave

I am wondering if the MAS or air temp sensor could cause this? Does anyone have any static values for resitance or voltage output I can check for?

You need a oscilliscope to test it, and you would be measuring the frequency being output on the MAP sensor which is part of your MAF. A call to your local ford dealership's mechanic should be able to give you base values for your altitude, or you can try to find a chart on google, but remember the value is corrected to sea level. For me at my altitude I get 153-155Hz. Any lower than 150Hz here and its considered toast by Ford's specs.

Back