'03 Mountaineer Broken Door Handle Cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'03 Mountaineer Broken Door Handle Cable

kevthexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear Lake, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I just got an '03 Mountaineer, very nice with a few issues. First, the driver's door handle cable is broken (I've removed the trim etc. and it's definitely the cable) but I cannot find a part number, or a diagram that shows a part number anywhere. I've gone to all my usual online parts stores and searched to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue? I've even been to the Ford online parts site and found nothing. It's hard to imagine with a gazillion Explorers and Mountaineers out there that nobody carries this part. Help!

If it's not a part that usually breaks no one is going to make a replacement because there is no money in it for them. You may have to go to a junk yard to get the part you need.

If it's not a part that usually breaks no one is going to make a replacement because there is no money in it for them. You may have to go to a junk yard to get the part you need.
Yeah, I came to that conclusion after a few days of denial. I emailed Dorman who makes a lot of cables like this one, but they didn't make the one I need. Ford said the cable comes with the latch mechanism but it's way too expensive. Other manufacturers who make the latch don't supply the cable. So, it's either the junk yard or make my own. Thanks, BTW.

Back