• Register Today It's free!

03 mountaineer transmission issue

-RYknow

Reaction score
City, State
Claremont, nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys. I posted awhile back about an issue we're having with our mountaineer. This is a follow up with more information.

It started when the check transmission light came on, and the OD light started flashing one day. I went online and it seems like it's a fairly common issue. We took it to the ford garage who wanted us to spend a bunch of money and couldn't even tell me the code causing the light in the first place. We ended up taking it to another local garage for a transmission flush. While it was there. They found out the code causing the light is a po741. I looked it up, and it appears to be related to the torque converter.

We've been in touch with a local transmission shop that just suggests we pull the transmission and have it rebuilt/replaced (for $4000). We really can't afford that kind of a repair right now.

The vehicle runs, drives, and shifts perfectly fine. I've never noticed any slipping or anything of that nature. The only thing aside from the light that indicates an issue is a whining sound when the rig is idling or driving. This whining sound stops for a second between each shift the transmission does.

So my main question based on the code and info I've listed here. Does it make sense to replace the transmission or would it make more sense (and cheaper) to just have the torque converter replaced?

Thanks,
-RYknow

Torque Converter Issue

Your torque converter contains a CLUTCH, which is engaged and disengaged at appropriate times by the computer (PCM). The clutch is energized by hydraulic pressure, turned on & off by a SOLENOID, mounted within the transmission. In the case of a solenoid malfunction, the clutch may either: Fail to engage, or, Remain engaged.

Your symptoms suggest the Fail to engage, which means the torque converter is not being "locked out" by the clutch. The noticeable effect is vague: shifting seems normal, driving also, however, fuel useage increases by several %. IF this is your problem, you can continue driving the vehicle just as it is, as long as you like. You can detect a non-engaged clutch by carefully observing the tachometer at a steady 50 mph on level pavement, while SLIGHTLY (VERY SLIGHTLY, and SLOWLY!) increasing pressure on the Gas Pedal; if the tach immediately indicates engine speed increase, the clutch is not engaged, and the torque converter is "doing it's thing"-- allowing engine speed-up to accelerate the vehicle.

A Remain engaged clutch causes the engine to stall when the vehicle is brought to a standstill, just like a typical manual transmission clutch would, if you failed to push down the clutch pedal when you stopped.

imp

Back