03 Moutaineer changed Intake manifold replacement issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Moutaineer changed Intake manifold replacement issues

edcantu9

Reaction score
followed all instructions and torqued in 2 stages. I now have a leak in the back passenger side. I pressure tested it and I can see the coolant leaking out. No where else. This leak was not there before the change. I cleaned the surface before installing new manifold.

Any suggestions? I was told that I needed to RTV the old OEM gasket alignment holes. I did not do this. But I read that this would cause vacuum issues. Would this also cause coolant leaks if I did not RTV the holes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What manifold did you install? Dorman or factory? The dorman has an extra heater hose outlet in the back that could be leaking.

What manifold did you install? Dorman or factory? The dorman has an extra heater hose outlet in the back that could be leaking.

Thanks for the reply, I used the Dorman 615-775. is the extra heater hose on the driver on passenger side? How would I go about stopping it from leaking? I appreciate your time in responding!

Passenger rear. It usually has a cap with a crappy clamp. It's like a 5/8 diameter

They have the o ring gaskets instead of the plate gaskets, you don't have both installed by chance do you? You also could of got a peice of trash on there between mating surfaces as you were shifting the intake into place.

They have the o ring gaskets instead of the plate gaskets, you don't have both installed by chance do you? You also could of got a peice of trash on there between mating surfaces as you were shifting the intake into place.
No just the orings. I will take apart this week and hopefully it is something I can figure out.

Double check the aluminum surface for any pits, scratches, or corrosion that might keep the o-rings from sealing. I usually put a thin smear of RTV on the o-ring right before installing to help get a good seal.

Double check the aluminum surface for any pits, scratches, or corrosion that might keep the o-rings from sealing. I usually put a thin smear of RTV on the o-ring right before installing to help get a good seal.

I took it apart, its amazing how experience helps, it took less than an hour to get if off as opposed to 2.5 hours the first time.

There is a bit of corrosion in that exact spot where the leak is, I will take it off and hopefully that will be it!

I am interested in your last sentence. For example I would put a dab on my finger and put a light coating on the gasket that will contact the aluminum?

That is what I usually do, but if the corrosion is a bit deeper, then put a little more on so it fills the area.

Back