• Register Today It's free!

'03 OEM hed unit and sub

tworedballs

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer NBX
Hey guys. I just purchased an '03 on Friday :exp: - it has the AUDIOPHILE system in it with a sub built into the back just next to the 3rd row seats. Does anyone here know for sure if the OEM head unit is any good? I'd like to replace the rear door speakers because they are just awful, but if the head unit isn't any good either then I'll wait and do all [speakers and sub and head unit] at the same time. The front door speakers (from what I can tell) sound to me to resemble a component speaker or maybe a plate speaker (seperate tweeter from driver). If the head unit is unpowered like someone said earlier, could I just replace the amp with a more powerful one? I've heard horror stories about trying to tap into the stock wiring configuration...

And after all these questions, does anyone really know the wattage of the amp that is powering the sub in the back? I would like just a tad more kick than it offers, but don't want to replace the amp if it's going to be a PITA to run wires, etc. when I could just replace with a better sub.

Thanks in advance for any info you have.

Back