03 sport explorer rear hub without center bolt why? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 sport explorer rear hub without center bolt why?

Lobo316

Reaction score
City, State
Denver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer 2dr
Help with removal of rear hub on my 03 sport explorer it has no center bolt an i need help removing it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No center bolt? that's dangerous... Here's a "how to" video.

I'll take pic n show you thats not even close to what mine looks like its solid center no way to use a puller any ideas

this is a 2 door, correct?

looks like this, correct?

2003_ford_explorer_sport_2_dr_xlt_4wd_suv-pic-19475-1600x1200.jpeg

if this is the body style of your truck, there is no rear hub, or center bolt

Yes it does n my rear hub alil loose idea why

It snowed here in colo n im shoveling snow ill post n bout 30 mins to hr ok

Yes it does n my rear hub alil loose idea why

as mentioned, if that is the body style of your truck, you have no rear hub. you should also have rear disks brakes, and not drums. you will have a solid axle in the back. there will be a small amount of play going in and out if you have it apart. how much is it moving?

are you using a wheel spacer with those rims? if you are, is it the correct one, or does it fit correctly, and it is also tight to the axle/rim?

Message_1616196019629.jpg

Yes right ones an tight to hub

double check them. take the rim off, retorque the spacer, then retorque the rim. i have had new spacers come lose before. and also are the axle studs sticking out of the spacer not allowing the rim to sit flush.

Ive done that n no spacers are flush n is it safe to drive tho

need to know where it is lose, and how much it is moving. if you know this already, i apologize but the rear axles are held in by c clips. they will have some in and out movement. there are no hubs like the front has. how much movement is there? also what did you torque the spacer and wheel to?

I dont have a torque racket n what do in need to torque them too

I torque mine to 110lbs. I have had 2 different spaces on the back.,I just replaced my first set to the ones I have now a couple weeks ago. I have pulled the wheels off and re-torqued then once with only around 100 miles on them and will do it once more at around 500 just to make sure they haven’t stretched

So am i safe to drive them after i put new brake rotors on

No one can answer that because you can’t define where there is movement and how much.

Wheel hub n about 1/8 inch or so movement in an out only not a wiggle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok i was just worried bout it falling off
While driving down highway or in town but i have it parked to add more uo grades to it like 2" lift n new shocks any good shocks to get n use

Back