03 Sport Trac XLT 4wd issue...HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Sport Trac XLT 4wd issue...HELP!

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
My 4wd went out on my 03 sport trac xlt. From what I read it was the transfer switch motor that had went out. Got a new one and put it on today and still no 4wd.

When you crank it, the 4wd high and 4wd low lights up then cuts off. You switch it from 2wd to 4wd and it doesn't engage and you hear a clicking sound from behind the glove box. That is what I went by because everyone on here said if you hear the clicking behind the glove box then it was the transfer switch motor.

I've read that there is a module behind the glove box but how do you get to it. I've dropped the glove box lid but seen nothing. I found another box behind the radio that some have said that is what it is but how do you check it without getting raped at a dealership. Someone has have had to had this problem and knows how to fix it but won't speak up apparently.

I am at a loss of what it could be now that I put that new motor on it. Help me, please. I want to get it fixed so I can put it up for sell. I have put a lot of work into it from the shape it was in and if I can't sell it, I at least want the 4wd to work on it. :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

REALLY?!...NO ONE HAS ANY ANSWERS OR JUST DON"T GIVE A CRAP?!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

relax dude I come here every day and I just saw this post

Okay so your trac stopped shifting from 2wd to 4hi and 4 low
So you changed the transfer case shift motor
and still no go
Flashing lights means there is an issue with the system

When you unbolt the transfer case shift motor what position was the shifter in? 2wd I assume?

Try disconnecting your negative battery cable for a minute
Then hook back up and try again
Flashing lights still there?

Bear with me here as a 2003 Sport trac is a little different. Your sport trac may use the GEM module to shift the 4x4 motor, or it may use a stand alone motorolla controller box. But first lets start with disco power and see if the system resets with the new shift motor.

The only time the 4wd high/low lights come on is when you first crank it. They light up then go off like they are supposed to. There is no flashing of the 4wd high/low lights when you turn the switch. All of the fuses are good. I just get a clicking sound from behind the glovebox when you turn the switch to 4wd high/low and back to 2wd. The shifter was in 2wd, yes.

The reason I changed the transfer shift motor is I read on the forum that if you hear that clicking noise from behind the glove box then that it was the transfer switch motor. This issue has drove me nuts as you can tell..lol. It is the only major thing I have left to fix (other than below). I read also that it may be the box behind the radio, which I found. Guess I have to take it to the dealership to have it checked to see if it is working (which I am trying to avoid because we all know the dealership will bend you over and ream you for the least little thing. I don't want a $100 fix I can do myself be a $1000 bill from a dealership just for them to look at it).

The one who had it let her boyfriend take it for 8 months then he quit paying on it and it got repo'd and I bought it for a little under $900. Since I got it, I have replaced the tires (which the old ones looked like racing slicks), new sway bars links, upper right ball joint, oil changed (looked like tar when the old oil came out), new windshield, new side mirrors, new driver door panel, new radio, new speakers, new cruise control buttons, replaced rear center regulator/motor, new panels behind the rear seat, changed/replaced burnt out cluster lights with LED bulbs, new compass/temp and interior lights.

The only other thing I haven't been able to fix, other than the 4wd, is that the computer will not reset the emissions part and had to get a waiver to get it inspected. Still haven't figured out why it won't reset even though I went through the driving procedures for it twice.

I am having the same problem with my 05 and am curious what you’ve found?

Back