• Register Today It's free!

'03 Trans Service

HolgateLBI

Reaction score
City, State
St Pete, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT V8
Just bought a '03 Explorer XLT. Has 4.6 & 3 button 4x4. I had a feeling trans fluid was low, after hitting the brakes hard one morning, the tranny took a little while to kick in when pulling away from the light that I stopped for. My thought was the fluid was forced away from the pick-up tube & got an air bubble (a carpenters description). It was like I had it in neutral, revved a little & then dropped it into gear. After filter & fluid service, I think I was right.

Tools needed:
Ramps & stands to keep truck up & relatively level.
7/8" socket for drain plug & (?) size torx for fill adapter
8mm socket with swivel & various extensions
Trans filter & gasket (Wix 58898 from Rock Auto was $20 w/ Filter & rubber gasket)
Fluid fill adaptor. (mine was homemade & cost $5+- at Lowes)
inch pounds torque wrench (120 in lbs)
7 - 8 Qts Mercon V fluid (I used Valvoline)

I used a Wix 58898 filter/gasket kit from Rock Auto for $20 or so shipped to the house. It is the rubber gasket not the metal gasket as some like.

Adaptor : 1/8" x 1/8" a 1-1/2" MIP nipple to 1/8" x 1/4" MIP coupling to 1/4" MIP x 1/4" Barbed elbow
I am going to change it to a straight brass barbed adaptor.

I drained out approx. 5 qts. After removing & cleaning the pan, I applied a thin even coat of Permatex Ultra Copper RTV silicone adhesive to the pan & sat the rubber gasket in it right away. I positioned it & then poured 1 qt tranny fluid into pan (probably could've put in 2). I put tranny fluid on all 16 bolts & installed the pan.

After snugging up all 16 bolts I torqued them to 110 in. lbs. I was afraid to go higher as is recommended spec, I didn't trust my cheap Chinese Harbor Freight torque wrench & I was using a rubber gasket.

I put a total 6.5 QTs back in & after it warmed up, it seemed to be the correct level. Took it for a drive & all seemed fine. Tried a couple of hard braking stops & couldn't replicate the situation as originally described.

MILLER TIME (well cheap boxed wine time) but you get the point.

Resized_20181028_173656.jpeg

Back