• Register Today It's free!

'03 XLT air control

wheelin'explorer

Reaction score
City, State
springfield, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
When I bought my Ex I did not notice it, and it has not bothered me until summer has rolled around, now that mother nature has turned the heat up it's annoying me that on my Ex for the air conditioning the 1-4 control on the fan speed for the air conditioning, I have one which works then 2 and 3 are the same speed, then I have 4 the fastest. I was wondering if anyone has had/heard of this problem. Searched the forum and produced nothing. I just want to know if someone else has this problem and if you found out if it was the switch it's self, or what not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think mine is the same. I always thought it was just me being ****. Lol. Maybe just the switch. Low on the fix it list for me. I'll fix my blend door in the rear first. Suspension and gear swap before that. Hopefully be done tonight with the suspension.

When I bought my Ex there was no difference between #2 & #3 on the fan switch. I replaced the switch and now have all four speeds. I got lucky and scored a radio bezel, complete with 4x4 switch, vents, & HVAC controls, on eBay for 14 bucks.

Could also be the blower motor resistor.

From what I hear, the resistor is pretty cheap and available at local parts stores.

Good luck! :D:thumbsup:

Well I'm going to try and track down that switch then and see if that solves the problem. Ebay here I come! (hopefully find it so I don't have to go to the dealership)

Now the question is Rondo, will I be as lucky to score the entire bezel with that switch for so cheap like you!!

Well I'm going to try and track down that switch then and see if that solves the problem. Ebay here I come! (hopefully find it so I don't have to go to the dealership)

Now the question is Rondo, will I be as lucky to score the entire bezel with that switch for so cheap like you!!

It can't hurt to try. Let me know if you need any assistance swapping it out.

It can't hurt to try. Let me know if you need any assistance swapping it out.

I've had that bezel out to swap out the factory radio, I'm not worried about that. If I remember right when I had it out and looked at it before I think clips just hold those switches in? I know you can just pull the knob off.

I don't remember. Stand by................I'm checking my spare bezel......................

Why do I get the feeling you guys are screwing with me? :dunno:

No way man. You are the go-to guy for pretty much any problem.. Your posts have helped me learn more than from anyone else.

Sorry, I got distracted and forgot all about this.

Pull the knob off the switch then push in the tabs indicated by the arrows and the switch will pull straight out.

RemoveFanSwitchCustom.jpg

No way man. You are the go-to guy for pretty much any problem.. Your posts have helped me learn more than from anyone else.

Thank you. Just trying to give a little back to the community that has saved me mega buck$.

Sorry, I got distracted and forgot all about this.

Pull the knob off the switch then push in the tabs indicated by the arrows and the switch will pull straight out.

RemoveFanSwitchCustom.jpg

So simple I think I can do it! Well hopefully.... is there a write up how to remove that smitch in more detail? :D

So simple I think I can do it! Well hopefully.... is there a write up how to remove that smitch in more detail? :D

If you need more detail than that, you are in trouble. :p: :biggthump :p:

Well Rondo I did not score a entire bezel for so cheap like you did. They wanted 45 bucks on ebay.... did not want to spend fourty five bucks for the switch that I was going to scrap from it. I managed to find a motorcraft replacement on amazon for 15 bucks, should have it in a few days.... maybe I'll do a write up on how to replace it?:D

Maybe I should lay off the sarcasm?

Edit:

If anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same problem, the motorcraft replacement switch I got was part # YH1670. Just so you don't have to search it down like I did if you are not buying the bezel with the switch in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nicely done. :biggthump

Back