03 XLT gas gauge stuck | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

03 XLT gas gauge stuck

Country313

Reaction score
City, State
S.E. Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I filled up last night (20+) gallons and when I pulled in my drive way less than a mile from the gas station I noticed the needle on the gas gauge was reading 1/8 of a tank. Anybody familiar with this? Is it just a stuck float that will eventually work it's way loose? As always, any input is welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Country

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fox Fader

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
searching
Did the information center reset miles to go (if u have one)?

Country313

Reaction score
City, State
S.E. Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I don't have an info center. But me and the wife went to dinner with somwfriends and the needle is gradually moving up. The trip meter has about 8 miles on it now and the needle is reading around 7/8

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
on occasion mine will stop halfway between 3/4 and full. Eventually I will look down and its up to the F, so I would think it would just straighten out itself.

Tarpman

Reaction score
City, State
Escalon, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT 4.0
Mine does this every so often. Started right after I got it (used) still under warranty. They put in a new float, so they say, anyway, it still does it sometimes when I let it get really low. I always set my trip. back to zero when I fill up. I always try to fill up for that reason. Been thinking of replacing it someday. Instead of dropping tank, figuring out where to cut a hole in rear floor for access door and make oversize piece for a cover, screw it down, seling it first. Has anyone done this?