'03 XLT leaking fluid

Coulton

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Hey all!

My first post here. I'm not super car savvy but mechanically inclined. Anyway, a few weeks ago I noticed my 2003 XLT was leaking a bit toward the front (near the engine) and slightly off center toward the right of the center line. At first it looked like water (although it took forever to evaporate) but yesterday I noticed that the fluid was much darker and don't believe it is water anymore (dark brown and oily). I have attached a few pictures of where I think it is coming from. One picture is above the engine to give you an idea of where it is at. The second is a closer view above the engine and the last one is underneath the car. Thoughts?

20171029_083137.jpg

20171029_083253.jpg

20171029_083107.jpg

The pictures help! The stains look like coolant to me. Thermostat housing is known to leak possibly?

You said right of center line (i.e., passenger side), and the "above" picture is from that side, but your "underneath" picture (3rd) shows the leak on the driver side, non?

Looks too "watery" to be oil; agree coolant is most likely culprit. After you chase down the leak you should flush/replace that brown coolant!

Back